• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket axle seals

3 of my close friends have them and absolutly love them. If I didnt toss the Dana 30 in favor of a Dana 44 I would have a set. They keep all the nasty water and crap out of the tube making it a snap to replace the shafts and not worry about dirt and crud from getting into the diff. I think they are worth it but this is coming from a guy who has a 44 up front :D

AARON

Thanks, that’s the type of info I was looking for. I didn’t know if it was just a gimmick or if they actually kept water/mud out of the axle tube. Any idea on how long I can expect them to last (months, years, decades)? Is $67 for a pair (complete set for the axle) delivered to my door sound reasonable? BTW if you have a Dana 44 out of a TJ you can still use these (has Dana 30 knuckles/tube). If you have a REAL Dana 44 you are SOL.

Now that I ordered a set for the XJ, my buddy has seal envy. He wants a set for his Dana 60. All I’ve seen them advertised for is Dana 30s or Jeep Dana 44s (uses Dana 30 tube/knuckle). Anybody have a source for a set to fit a Dana 60?

I've run them on two different dana 30's now. One of them did start to leak grease after it got hot the first time, but alloy-usa provided me with new seals to rebuild it and it's good as new. I'm building a new front end now and it will be seeing them, as will any new 30/44 I put under my rigs.

i've had mine for over a year now and they have held up well. in fact i have an inside seal that has grooved my axel and the diff fluid leaks by. but untill it builds up high enough the seal keeps it in so they seal pretty well. but as a so-caly i don't get to play much in the water here. what i have been in has stayed sealed out. i think cal had his in water almost up to the windows at the 'con' last year so he should be able to give you the lo down on water staying out.

Actually, water got into *EVERYTHING*.. front and rear axles, transmission, engine, carpet, camping gear, toolbox, food.. anything that wasnt on the roofrack (yet, the pictures just dont make it look that bad..).

I had not addressed my vent tubes yet. I fixed them and have been in deep water since, and not gotten water back in. :)

cal said:
One of them did start to leak grease after it got hot the first time, but alloy-usa provided me with new seals to rebuild it and it's good as new.

Cool, that’s the brand that I ordered. Their web site didn’t say if they were rebuildable and I couldn’t tell from the pictures. It’s nice to know that I can put new seals in them if I need to. :laugh3:

*nod*

I'm not actually sure how much good tube seals really do, but the alloy-usa ones are built top quality, and they stand behind them. Come in lots of pretty colors too. :)

I am thinking, about getting these ''alloy usa one's'' for my rig, but i was just putting in inner axle seals and thought. Could you just put a set of inner seals in backwards on the out side of the tube..just a idea its probably way better than nothing.. i might use my old ones if i dont get the alloy ones

I dont think they would fit? The factory inner seals are a very specific fit, and if you did manage to get them in place, i think they would walk off within about nine rev's of the tube..

besides, they wouldnt last more than a minute or two. You need to lubricate the seal in order for it to not overheat and melt or tear. The alloy-USA tube seal is actually two seals with a space in between and a grease fitting, and you fill the space in between with a quality hi temp grease.

If you want to seal the tubes, spend the $99. ;)

-C

Back