• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 4.0 wont start

thetrueyeti

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 94 Xj that has ran great for the two years that ive had it. all ive done is switch out the instrument cluster for a gauge cluste. It ran fine till yesterday, i turned the key and nothing. the lights came on, but no solonoid click. or start at all. i took the starter out, it worked fine with a jump. Battery is great, even tried jumping with no results. I took out the ignition switch and tried jumping the yellow and red wire. not sure if this was the right one, but thought so from the schematic in haynes. Is there a fusible link? anyone have any ideas? I leave here in germany in two weeks, and have to have this running to sell it. please help!

I'm having the same problem with my 90.

When I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump kick on, and all electrical starts up.

The starter, however, does NOTHING. I'm suspecting a starter relay, since I replaced the starter about a year ago.

Thanks for the advice. i have the five speed manual, so no NSS. I just pulled the relay, shorted the starter out and it turned over fine. replaced the relay with a known "good" relay, still nothing. going to the german jeep dealer and try to order a ignition switch. talked to him on the phone and he had no clue what i was talking about, so im worried. Oh, i did take the Ig switch apart and saw some very worn and burned parts, so im leaning heavily towards this. Thanks again.

langer1 said:
ALL of you do you have a automatic? If so the Netural safety switch is the most likely cause.
Do a search for NSS.

Nope, not the NSS.

First of all, I've cleaned it and regreased it, etc. recently, so it should be working fine.

Second, when I turn the ignition, the fuel pump, etc. kicks on (as I stated previously). In order to eliminate the NSS as the cause, I put it in gear and then turned the ignition. When it's in gear, the fuel pump does not kick on, it only activates in Park and Neutral. Therefore - the NSS is doing it's job, and it must be something else.

Back