• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission prob ?

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I cant seem to figure out whats going on with my 89 XJ auto transmission. It never had a problem before until I was doing some work under the hood - I took the heater fan out. Well, I was backing out of my driveway and then I shifter her into D - and wouldnt go ! The motor would rev and it would move ever so slightly. Then I shifted into 1-2 and it moved like it should. So I figured the vacuum line to the trans has been disconnected, but I cant find anything ! So I was looking under my hood for a while and I found a vacuum line that was disconnected and just sucking air from the atomsphere. This line should be plugged in somewhere ! But, I just cant find where it goes. It is the line that comes out of the firewall Just left of the heater fan motor. It is a faded purple line. Also a black line goes in the same area - the black line is coming from the vacuum canister. So where does this purple line go ? I bet it'll fix my problem !

So there IS no vacuum line to the auto trans ? Must be my chevie turbo trans thinking.. ah well.

That makes sense about the purple line going the heater valve. I removed that thing ! :doh:

I'll check the fuse box... and TCU plug - what exactaly is that and where is it ?

Ther should be a large plug right beside the heater motor (right side of the heater motor). Check this connection. The AW4 does not use vacuum.

dude this JUST happened to me. thread on it... plus it happened AGAIN to another user recently, thread on it.

Im my case, new tranny. Its STILL being swapped out a few weeks later.. water inside, + pinched coolant line = dead tranny.

Check the fuses, TCU, drain your tranny, fill her up and see.

dan89XJ said:
I'll check the fuse box... and TCU plug - what exactaly is that and where is it ?

Should be on the passenger side by your feet. Looks like a ciggarette box.

helix said:
Should be on the passenger side by your feet. Looks like a ciggarette box.

Oh that thing needs to be plugged in ?

I took my dash valance panel off a while back.. and the cig box is on it.

Well, now the problem is gone.. thanks for all the tech help ! NAXJA is the best !

dan89XJ said:
Oh that thing needs to be plugged in ?

I took my dash valance panel off a while back.. and the cig box is on it.

Well, now the problem is gone.. thanks for all the tech help ! NAXJA is the best !

If you really want to thank us, you should consider becomming a member. Helps the site continue to grow and stay alive to give help to individuals who need it. A good cause :D

Back