• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

have a broken sensor but dont know what it is

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
OK here it goes i have a 93 xj with 4.0 manual trans and np203 case, im prepping to pull the engine and trany to do some repairs and found i have a sensor on top of the engine on the far back drivers side corner with a little white plug thats broken off and I honestly dont know what its called. any ideas?

Thanks

On top of the cylinder head? Sounds like the coolant temperature sensor - the one for the indicator (either a light or a gage) on your dashboard. Has it not been working?

Oh - are you sure about that NP203? XJ's in your year should have come with the NP231 (without "full-time" 4WD) or NP242 (with "full-time" 4WD) - unless it's been swapped by a previous owner...

5-90

Since he has the AX15 manual tranny, the transfer case would definitely be the NP231. I don't think the NP242 was fitted to any XJ with the AX15.
Regarding the sensor it's probably the coolant temp. gauge sending unit on the back of the cylinder head as 5-90 mentioned.

Back