• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer and Engine light

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
My speedometer went out all of a sudden, and a minute later my check engine light came on. could these 2 problems be related? one of my friends suggested that it could be because we washed the car earlier that day and water got inside and shorted something out, but this doesn't seem likely. i know this is pretty vague, but if anyone has some information, that'd be great.

Check the error code, maybe it's the vehicle speed sensor that lost it's signal, I guess that thing also controls the speedometer.

1. I think your friend was dead on. And, it dried overnight.

2. I would check the connector, since it should be watertight/raintight. If it's not, this could return when you're fording a stream or doing other wet driving.

3. If water got in the connector, even tho it's now dry enough to operate it could be causing corrosion which will be a long-term problem.

Sorry, I have an old mechanical speedo so I don't know where the sensor is on yer new-fangled 'lectronic vee-hick-al. :D

Nice to know a '91 is a new-fangled ride...Sounds like your prob went away- always good! I had the same prob and it didnt go away with a nites sleep, so I replaced the speed sensor with a mopar speed sensor kit ($80) its under the car and you can change it out in 10 min. it is mechanical, and the little spindle on mine was just gummed up/ rusty and no longer spinning. Easy fix.

- TJ

Back