• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9.75 any good?

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
I found a complete ford 9.75 5 lug rear axle with disc brakes for $175. I'm looking for good cheap axles for my xj project. It wont see any street driving. But I was wondering about the normal stuff (ie. ground clearance, strength, aftermarket stuff, etc.) How much fab would it take to mount under a xj?
Heres a pic of it.

0XoWiWnmUoX8XNWVSgDnRqtB8Ktr.jpg

Well if it's an 8.8 then maybe it would be a good axle for my daily driver. I have the 8.25 in there now. Would it really be worth swapping in an 8.8? Other then the disc brake part? I've read alot about the swap but never really found if it was better then the 8.25.

PoSxJ said:
Well if it's an 8.8 then maybe it would be a good axle for my daily driver. I have the 8.25 in there now. Would it really be worth swapping in an 8.8?

That depends....27 or 29 spline 8.25? What sized tires? Locked? What kinda wheelin do you do or is it just a DD?

More info, He says it came out of a 04 f1510 heritage. Anyone know what rearends came in these?

PoSxJ said:
Well if it's an 8.8 then maybe it would be a good axle for my daily driver. I have the 8.25 in there now. Would it really be worth swapping in an 8.8? Other then the disc brake part? I've read alot about the swap but never really found if it was better then the 8.25.
What size tires do you run? What size tires do you wnat to run? Is your 8.25, 27 or 29 spline?

IMHO, If your running a 33" tire or less and you have a 29 spline, I wouldn't bother. 8.8's are pretty strong. Do your homework on the 8.8 and you'll learn all sorts of stuff.

PoSxJ said:
More info, He says it came out of a 04 f1510 heritage. Anyone know what rearends came in these?

I don't know what that vehicle is, let alone the axles that came under it!:laugh3:

I'm not sure about the spline count. It's a 94 auto 4.0l with 33's and no it's not locked and stock gearing. I wheel what ever I think I can get through without breaking stuff.

Then is 27 spline.

I wheeled mine lincoln locked with 33's fairly hard and never broke a shaft. If your gonna run it open and not abuse the piss out of it, your current axle is perfectly fine. If you plan on locking or going with bigger tires however, that 8.8 would be a great upgrade.

If you currently have the means( a welder and the know-how) to swap an axle, by all means, do it...especially if you ever anticipate on locking or going bigger in the future.

PoSxJ said:
I'm not sure about the spline count. It's a 94 auto 4.0l with 33's and no it's not locked and stock gearing. I wheel what ever I think I can get through without breaking stuff.

That'd be 27 slpine shafts in your 8.25. Sounds like a good option for a swap, if you want to go full width. Do you know what gears the 8.8 has in it?

Jeffro600 said:
Then is 27 spline.

I wheeled mine lincoln locked with 33's fairly hard and never broke a shaft.

That's why I've never looked into swapping it out. I've never heard of anyone breaking anything with the set up I have now. I would like to get a locker and move up to 35's, when ever I get the money. I don't know how to weld (would like to learn) but a buddy of mine is fairly good at it, he said he'd help me with it. Are you able to use the existing spring perches? I've heard of people doing it, but never new if it was suggested.

Is there an echo in here??

Haleyes said:
Do you know what gears the 8.8 has in it?

No I don't, I sent the guy an email. I doubt he knows.

PoSxJ said:
No I don't, I sent the guy an email. I doubt he knows.

You can pull the cover and count teeth to know for sure. Being an 04' it probably still has the tag on the diff. cover too. Might take a look.

PoSxJ said:
That's why I've never looked into swapping it out. I've never heard of anyone breaking anything with the set up I have now. I would like to get a locker and move up to 35's, when ever I get the money. I don't know how to weld (would like to learn) but a buddy of mine is fairly good at it, he said he'd help me with it. Are you able to use the existing spring perches? I've heard of people doing it, but never new if it was suggested.

Since you stated that you want to lock it and go with 35's, id definetly ditch the 8.25. Its really not that difficult to swap an axle...mostly involves chopping off your old spring mounts and shock brackets and properly relocating them on your new axle, adjusting your driveshaft length and hooking the brakes up.

Thanks for all the input guys. I made the guy an offer, so will see what happens. I've seen tons of write ups on the swap so I doubt I'll have any questions on that.

Back