• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

when headlights turn on no lights on inside

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok so i just got home from work and just noticed that whenever i turn my headlights on my clock and cluster gauge lights dont go on, my radio works but why is this? i just got a new alternator about a week ago and havent done any wheeling. i have a 91 xj 4.0 HO limited. and yes i searched.

Did you check the fuse? It is the same fuse that controls the tails and markers, so if that is blown you will not have tailights either.

Rev

Did you try rotating the headlight knob? The instrument lights are on a dimmer, which is an old-fashioned mechanical rheostat. (A metal contact sliding along a length of coiled up resistance wire.) Sometimes the contact point on the coil gets burned, creating a dead spot. My dash lights on the '88 XJ won't work at the very brightest setting, but if I rotate the knob just a fraction away from full-bright, I get lights. Too lazy to replace the switch until the problem gets worse.

Back