• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 price ?

I don't know if it's a good price or not but I got a Dana 60 complete for $50. I did pay $300 for my D44 complete, but sold everything off of it anyway and about made my money back. So it really depends on how your looking to build it. I keep the axle shafts in the family, sold them to my brother...trail spares. Sold the 3.55 gears and carrier. I needed new brakes (line, drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cyl.) Went with Alloy USA shafts, EZ locker (lasted 7 miles)....ARB Air Locker now...welded up the shock mounts flush with the axle tubes... So I spend a few bucks. Up to you. Juice

If youve got the shafts, brakes and carrier and all that junk already, then yeah, its not a bad deal. If you dont, it would be more of a pain in the butt to track down all those parts than what its worth and would probably end up costing you more in the long run. I gave 500 bucks for my D44 with alloy shafts, 4.88's and a spool. You should be able to pick up a stock one thats complete for 200-300 bucks.

i got a line on a complete 44 for 300 bucks, not sure on a bare

is it a bare xj housing? if its just a 44 housing that wont bolt up, i wouldnt get it.

Oh no I didnt mean completely bare. It's an XJ dana 44 under an 87 at a local junkyard. But someone has already taken the axle shafts and brake hardware from it, and I just said without gears beacause I'd have to replace them anyway to match the my front axle.(Pretty sure the carrier is there). I just wasnt sure if 70 dollars plus the price of axle shafts, gears, and brake hardware would be more than a complete dana 44.

i'd buy it if i was already planning to build one. might still grab it and resell it before it went to the recycler just to save it.

Buy it!

You will want to change the brakes anyways .. the d44 drum stuff is real xpensive ... change to discs.
It would cost you more than that just fro the brackets and stuff to mount anything in your xj.
Carriers are cheap and if you are going to regear to 410s or so you would have to change it anyway.
Axles ... I'd watch ebay

Just my .02

Where is this axle located in WVA. I'm right up the road just north of the PA line. If you don't want it, I'll take it to save. Juice

Paid 150 for mine complete from a boneyard. It had all the old brakes on it, but I got new everything for it- as long as the backing plates are good, might as well buy it.

I might have a set of backing plates out in the shop for an xj dana 44 ... converting mine to discs. Picking up my caliper brackets and new axle bearings when I'm in Datona.... the stuff is ridiculously expensive up here.

k

Once again guys sorry for the misconception. The junkyard isnt in west virginia. That is where I'm from but I'm currently in Tennesee going to college. Maybe I will try to scrape the money together for it.

Back