• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will a TJ front axle bolt in to my XJ?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have not looked at a tj front end. I am wondering if I can get a Rubi D44 front end complete with the gears and locker and all, may be cheaper to get it.... if it will bolt up!

Thanks

yes, it will bolt right up. the brackets are all the same. why not get front and rear?

yes it will bolt in, but that axle isnt as strong as you might think. it's definately worth getting if the price is right but they tend to go for good $$, spend the same $$ on a hi-pinion d30 and upgrade the entire unit for prob the same $$. the real benefit to running a D44 in the front is heavier components and deeper gear ratio availability. but the Rubi D44 uses D30 "outers" and the locker/carrier is manufactured in a way that uits not compatible with standard gears so your essentially stuck with the 4.10s or a more expensive set of custom gears.
so unless its an awesome deal i'd probably skip it.

good call, I didn't think of the custom gear thing! I am wanting 4.56, so its starting to sound like a really bad idea now.

I already have a D44 rear from an XJ.

What about a LP D30 out of a TJ that already has an OX locker and 4.56? What the difference between Low/high pinion.... other than the location of where the pinion enters the axle housing!

Red97XJ said:
good call, I didn't think of the custom gear thing! I am wanting 4.56, so its starting to sound like a really bad idea now.

I already have a D44 rear from an XJ.

What about a LP D30 out of a TJ that already has an OX locker and 4.56? What the difference between Low/high pinion.... other than the location of where the pinion enters the axle housing!

how high are you lifted/lifting? at stock hieght or small lift it wont really make a big deal but the higher you go the more pronounced the angle of the front driveline. TJ guys run LP axles all the time so it's not the end of the world. just not "optimal".

OK, that makes sense, the higher you go, the more important to have HP instead of LP.

In that case, I will build what I have. I am running a RE 3.5 now, and want to go to 4.5 later.... but NO higher.

thanks,
Jason

Back