• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella 500 or IPF 968 ? ? ?

Calata

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I spend over 2 hours searching and reading on these 2 lights on here and different other boards. Most everyone says that they are both great lights, but I haven't seen anyone talk about them compared to each other. I've also seen night time photos of the IPFs but none of the Hellas.

How do they compare, besides the $50 price difference? I don't do off roading, but a lot of high way driving, 70-80 range.

Calata said:
Ok, so I spend over 2 hours searching and reading on these 2 lights on here and different other boards. Most everyone says that they are both great lights, but I haven't seen anyone talk about them compared to each other. I've also seen night time photos of the IPFs but none of the Hellas.

How do they compare, besides the $50 price difference? I don't do off roading, but a lot of high way driving, 70-80 range.
I used to have a set of Hella 500s and they were great lights. I've seen IPFs online, and if I had to buy another set, I'd go IPF. They offer a wide and long range beam which would be perfect for me. Either choice is a good one.

I have both, and hands down, betting money, swearing on your life, and anything else you could think of the IPF968's are 100 times a better light than the Hella 500's!!!!
One of the biggest things that got me was, the wiring harness on the 500's. YOu would think sence the cheepie $20 sets form wally world can do it. A decent set of $80 lights would have all the termenals on the harness, but nope they make you do it. I know it's not a big thing, but non the less. Also the wiring isn't verry heavy, and IIRC they don't even include a relay, but don't quote me on that I just can't remember it's been to long. Anyway go with the IPF's you be very happy the first time you get to bright someone, and you can see the whites of there eyes over there brights.

I agree with Scooby. If you can afford the little extra for the 968's they're well worth it over the Hella 500's IMHO. As scooby said, the wiring harness that comes with the 968's is 100x better than the DIY wiring that Hella supplies (both kits include relays). The 968 harness is really plug-n-play, with virtually no way to screw it up or wire it wrong since everything goes together only one way and all the terminals and connectors are already done for you.

I've run the Hellas on my XJ in the past: http://jeepin.com/features/hella/

And our TJ has a slew of 968's on it: http://jeepin.com/features/ipf968/

Back