• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another electerical Q- I'm listening to my brake lights through the amp!

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
'92 XJ Laredo with Jenson Accusound stero system (not infinity)

I hooked up my amp under the seat and dug out the harness that runs along the left (drivers) side. The wires in the hatch are- left: yellow/brown and blue/brown, Right: white/blue and blue/orange. I found these same colors in the harness by the left-rear door and tapped into them, but when I sent power to the amp I got power to the brake lights.

Clearly I have tapped into the wrong wires-

Question- where should I find the wires from the head unit to the rear speakers? What color are they? My stupid Haynes manual is worthless and I haven't found a '92 FSM book yet.

Did that, sorry it was unclear- The wires to the SPEAKERS in the hatch are left: yellow/brown and blue/brown, Right: white/blue and blue/orange. The wires of the same colors in the harness next to the back door are running the tail-lights.

The easiest way to solve the problem is to tap into the speaker wires at the head unit for the rear speakers and run them with the RCA cables. or independently if you want. Shops will usually do this just so that you can guarntee you have the right wires. All you need is 2 15 foot speaker wires and problem solved.

Watch your grounds, too. It sounds like a ground loop to me--dependent upon how loudly you're "hearing" your brake lights. By that, I mean is it just a hum/buzz, or is it genuinely like you're electrically listening to them.

Timber said:
Watch your grounds, too. It sounds like a ground loop to me--dependent upon how loudly you're "hearing" your brake lights. By that, I mean is it just a hum/buzz, or is it genuinely like you're electrically listening to them.

Yup, that was the problem, I got it solved last Saturday. Sounds pretty good now!

Back