• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uni body cutting up tires

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with a 4.5" RE lift. Im running 33x12.5x15 BFT m/t’s. They don’t rub or scrape under normal driving conditions. When im wheeling and the suspension is flexing all up in the wheel well in the front and rear the tires get TOTALLY cut up from the "pinch seam" I think it’s called. Im sick of this happening because it decreases the life of my tires and makes them look ugly. Im sure that someone has come across this problem in the past. Can someone please give me the solution?

Im sure that hitting it with a hammer to bend it over is not what your supposed to do I want to know how to fix it right.

You dont want your tires to look ugly?

Just use a hammer and fold the pinch seam over. problem solved.

fdsa487 said:
I have a 2000 XJ with a 4.5" RE lift. Im running 33x12.5x15 BFT m/t’s. They don’t rub or scrape under normal driving conditions. When im wheeling and the suspension is flexing all up in the wheel well in the front and rear the tires get TOTALLY cut up from the "pinch seam" I think it’s called. Im sick of this happening because it decreases the life of my tires and makes them look ugly. Im sure that someone has come across this problem in the past. Can someone please give me the solution?

Im sure that hitting it with a hammer to bend it over is not what your supposed to do I want to know how to fix it right.

Right or not, that's seems to be what 99% (give or take 90%) of the people do to eliminate that problem.

fdsa487 said:

What size rim do you run?

Can someone please give me the solution?

Did you notice that RE RECOMMENDS 32X11.50 tires for that lift? There is a reason for that. Find someone here that runs that lift with 33s and hasnt trimmed. Either trim or bumpstop.

jeepguy97 said:
Did you notice that RE RECOMMENDS 32X11.50 tires for that lift? There is a reason for that. Find someone here that runs that lift with 33s and hasnt trimmed. Either trim or bumpstop.

Jeep recommends that we keep our XJ's stock too! Do we?

HaZakated said:
Jeep recommends that we keep our XJ's stock too! Do we?

No we modify them. After realizig that the modifications will make them handle differently. Re tells you that 33s will fit with some trimming. He is asking how to clear 33s with 4.5" of lift and no trimming....

Dont be such a PUSSY!!!!

mini_DSC00065.sized.jpg

fdsa487 said:
flexing all up in the wheel well

What What. What up homey.

Seriously though Trim you can make those 33's fit great. If you are worried about what your rig looks like cruising through the ghetto it can be done tastefully and still looks good.

I run 33's on the RE 3.5 kit so you will def. be able to on that kit.

sintax said:
Dont be such a PUSSY!!!!

mini_DSC00065.sized.jpg

Sintax, is that a nippler or some type of air powered sabre saw?

96XJCLASSIC said:
Sintax, is that a nippler or some type of air powered sabre saw?

Air powered body saw. Its a much more fine blade and cuts body panels like butt-ah

sintax said:
Air powered body saw. Its a much more fine blade and cuts body panels like butt-ah

Now on the top of my tool list. What brand is it? That will be much better than my sawzall bouncing my fenders all around.

I have one of those made by Blue-Point (Snap-On). I have to agree with Sintax...They are sweet. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

damn gotta get one of those... brand a place to purchase pulease

1. take a cut off wheel on your angle grinder and make cuts in the pinch weld every 5 inches or so.
2. Take a nice big hammer and bash the pinch weld over
3. If tires continue to get cut procede to step 4, otherwise end here
4. get bigger hammer and a cold beer
4.5 crack beer, and drink assesing the situation now at hand
5. continue bashing pinch weld untill non existant.

worked for me

Air saw's rock.. The only way to cut sheet metel.

But sintax looks like yours has never been used. Get out and cut something. :)

You can pick up an air saw several places.. I have seen them at sears, Harbor frieght ETC. best one I own is Matco brand. Finding the air saw is easy, it's getting new blades when you don't have a regular tool guy that's a PITA.

Back