• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie vs Full Detroit

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Been reading pages on the both of them in a search but these dont get compared to each other very often. So which would you choose if money is not taken into account as the axle is being made up from scratch so not as much difference as normal ( rear d44 ).
Both seem very reliable ( very important as breaking one on the desert could spell disaster ), but get reports from both as to being noisy in some installations more than others?
So which is the quietest and most streetable for me? Remember I have a auto, drive smoothly and dont see ice.

ps, I have already looked at other diffs but what it simple and very strong.

I run full detroits in my DD and have no issues.

You say you want strength then I would def. go detroit. with the auto you will never no its back there.

sappersly said:
Two different types of lockers. The Detroit replaces the Carrier and the Aussie replaces the spider gears in the OE carrier.
Thanks and know that. That is why the price difference is not as great as I would have to buy a stock carrier to put the Aussie into as well ( Only $55 extra though ). Labour is still the same as setting up new gears in the new housing etc anyway. Everything will be new including AlloyUSA CrMo axles and all. :)

I would go Aussie If I was not changing gears. But if you are changing everything go with the Detroit. I have one and drive back and forth to work with a lot of tight turns and u turns. I love it on the snow and ice becuase I can get my XJ to do a 180 whenever I want.

If you're rebuilding the whole freakin axle and you have to buy a carrier, might aswell be a full carrier detroit. Not that the aussie is weak, but a full case locker is stronger than sticking a lunchbox into an open carrier. Go all out, go detroit!

I heard recently there is a huge backorder on aussie lockers anyways... just something to think about, I haven't confirmed it.

have you ever considered ARB or OX. not too much more then the detriot and the ability to manually turn it off is really nice, it will also give you longer tire life on the streets. You probably already know all the different avenues but i guess im just curious as to why you want automatic vs. a manual locker if its not the price. oh by the way i also have the detroit and think its great!!

etaniyani said:
have you ever considered ARB or OX. not too much more then the detriot and the ability to manually turn it off is really nice, it will also give you longer tire life on the streets. You probably already know all the different avenues but i guess im just curious as to why you want automatic vs. a manual locker if its not the price. oh by the way i also have the detroit and think its great!!
About a third of my mileage each year is on gravel Outback roads where I want more traction as well on tar roads when very wet. I ARB gives you no benefits at all in those conditions so would pay a lot of money and added complexity for some thing I might use a couple times a year. I dont use the XJ for weekend mud plugging at all as did all that years ago ( started in 1983 doing all that ) and went out every weekend. Just love crossing major deserts now a days. Like the Simpson which took me 4.5 days ( not including the 6000 kms getting there and back ) and 1100 sand dunes to be crossed in low range all the way in 110*F heat. Thats why it has to be strong and simple otherwise I may just not make it back alive.

yup, that would make sense as to why you dont want a manual locker. then i would choose the detroit as it is supposedly very strong. One thing that i heard that i didn't really like is if you break an axle with the detriots, the sudden release of pressure can also break the locker. and if the case, detroit will not warranty it because of other parts failure. Now i cant say with certaintanty that the locker will break in such a case, or if those complaints were valid, but i have checked with detroit on their warranty and if in some case the locker breaks as a result of a broken shaft it will not be covered in the warranty. just something to think about. I have had my detroit in my D35 for about 1 year now with no problems and it has been in some tough situations.

my only experience with a detroit was in my brothers old 1500 chevy. it was awful. part of that is probably from the lag in the chevy drivetrain. it was crap on road. i have a noslip in my jeep and couldnt be happier. almost dont know its there on the road and it hasnt let me down in nearly a year of having it. plus, you could keep your old spiders and throw those in if it happend to break, and then you would have a fine open carrier. if you break a detroit, your gonna be sol.

Thanks for the comments.
I am also fitting brand new AlloyUSA CrMo axles so breaking them is unlikely on 32's. Sand is also more forgiving than loading and unloading on rock too.
I am starting with a bare NOS housing so have no old parts at all. Also the Detroit has changed a lot over the years and have made them quieter and less abrupt than days of old so hope I qwill be fine with it.

Back