• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension part numbers

PO-Dan

NAXJA Forum User
I took my Cherokee by the dealership because the front end was making a strange sound. They looked it over, gave me a list of parts that they say need to be replaced and an estimated $500 bill for the work, of which they say only $100 was labor. Their worksheet does not name the parts, just gave part numbers. If anyone can tell me what these parts are, I would appreciate it. If I can get them and do it myself, it should be way cheaper?

52087859 (1 each)
52037849 (2 each)
52088523 (2 each)
52001132 (4 each)

THANKS!

Call a local napa or other parts house and ask the same question. They will be able to cross reference the mopar numbers and give you names, and probably prices.

HTH

You could also try quadratec.com

Or you could call the shop that gave you the quote and ask for the items needing replacement.

Well, I called NAPA and they said these were the sway bar and the related busings and the links.

Is this something that can be done without an alignment afterwards?

That is, can it be done without special tools and then driven to get an alignment without much trouble?

THANKS

PO-Dan said:
Well, I called NAPA and they said these were the sway bar and the related busings and the links.

Is this something that can be done without an alignment afterwards?

That is, can it be done without special tools and then driven to get an alignment without much trouble?

THANKS

There is no need for an alignment when working with the sway bar.

It sounds like this is something you haven't worked on before. Am I right?

If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, then you can replace the swaybar, bushings, and links yourself. I doubt the bar itself needs replacing at all.

Why did you take it to the shop in the first place?

There has been a rattle of sorts from the front end for some time, and I was there picking up some oil filters anyway so I got them to look at it. I have never done work on a sway bar, but I am pretty handy with a wrench. The dealership wants to replace these parts and do an alignment for a little over $500. NAPA says I can get all the parts from them for around $100, depending on the sway bar. I can grab the bar and shake it - the 2 bushings that bolt it to the frame are obviously shot, they are worn out. Otherwise, how do you know that the bar itself is worn out?

NAPA asked the size of my sway bar, and I have no clue how to find out, either. If I can get the parts, i will just do the work myself. I figure the Cherokee has 154k on it, so it's about time something there worn out!

52087859 (1 each) Front Sway Bar
52037849 (2 each) Front Sway Bar Link (one for each side)
52088523 (2 each) Front Sway Bar Bushing
52001132 (4 each) Front Sway Bar Link Gromet

If you are getting a noise and they think it's coming from the sway bar, then I would start by doing a visual inspection of the rubber bushings and gromets.
Are they cracking/missing/worn?
Temporarily spray some white lithium grease in them and see if the noise stops.

There is no specific "Technical Service Bulletin" about the XJ for this problem, but there is one for the Grand Cherokee.
Have the parts dept. print TSB # 02-002-04 RevA. Dated May 25, 2004.
They suggest just replacing the bushings.

I would not recommend replacing the whole sway bar or links – unless they are bent and/or broken. I think they are just trying to make some extra money with those parts.

Good luck.

Note: Size = 1.02" or 26mm diameter

It's a fairly easy job for a week-end mechanic as every bolt is out in the open for easy wrenching.

You've gotten great advice from Dirk and RTic.

More than likely you'll just have to replace the bushings and grommets and some bolts for about $25..

"gave me a list of parts that they say need to be replaced and an estimated $500 bill for the work, of which they say only $100 was labor."

Geez that gets me sick that they come across as being generous with their time...plus charging 4+ times the amount on parts.

The above is the reason that many of us do our own work.

If you are at all handy with a wrench, you can handle sway bar work.

Start by replacing the bushings that secure it to the frame rails. They see a fairly large load and can get worn out easily.

Also, check the bushings on the endlinks (where it connects to the axle). If you need some, post in the wanted section or even in this thread. I'd bet someone has some laying around for cheap.

HTH

the bill seems high because they are wanting to replace the swaybar itself as well as the links. as riticul8 stated, these don't need to be replaced. just the bushings. Try

http://www.allchryslerparts.com/

for cheaper parts if you don't like the dealership prices. You definitely don't need an alignment after doing this work, but they may have found that your front end was out of alignment ayway. I would find a quality alignment shop before I'd have the dealership do this. A shop will have way more experience at doing alignments properly.

Well, a stop at the local parts store and $50 bucks later I am home with bushings for the bar and 2 new end link assemblies. Time to get dirty.

Thanks for all the help, and all the quick responses. I will post how it goes!

Well, the swap out was not bad at all. However, I regret to say that it did not repair my rattle. At least I spent $50 instead of $500 to find out.

Note: You can drive without the sway bar and end links in order to isolate the problem - just don't make any drastic sharp turns.

Describe the "rattle."

Does it happen only on turns? - what direction?

High speed or low speed?

When you're stopping?

When you're accelerating?

Only when you hit bumps or on a straight road?

Where does it sound to you like it’s coming from?

Does it sound like metal rattling?

Plastic?

Neighbor's cat?

The way I see it, if the endlinks need replaced, you probally also need an allignment. Not that they one could really screw up the other, but while abusing my daily driven xj; I did enough damage to mess up the allignment while also bending one endlink slightly, the other almost to the point of breaking. A local mechanic also reccomeded replacing sway bar but upon comparison to fiannce's and friend's xjs found that it was fine. Of course I don't have alot of expierence, I learn while i wrench (not really the best way).

I hear the rattle generally when I am driving slow - parking lot type speeds. It happens when I hit a bump, wether turning or not. It sounds like a metallic rattle, but it only happens when I hit a bump. It does not have to be a big one, either. The jeep handles fine, and tracks straight when I let go of the steering wheel.

Beats me. It's just really annoying, and I am worried that something is either breaking or about to break.

What year is the Jeep?

Check out the Track Bar where it meets the drop down bracket on top. Mine was just hangin' and making some noise.

jeep_xj_steering.gif

Back