• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Rear Brake Swap

5x5, not 5x5.5

Not that it makes a difference. You could redrill the rotors though, if thats the only thing holding you up. Loads of people run WJ front breaks redrilled for 5x4.5.

-C

Littlewhitexj said:
so wait a second, excluding the rotors, all the other WJ rear brake parts would work?

I dont know. I was talking about the bolt pattern not being 5x5.5 and not being a problem, you just re-drill the rotors.

I intend to try doing WJ rear brakes on my xj44, since I'm doing WJ front brakes and i like symettry.. but I dont know yet.

I don't believe the bolt patterns for the caliper brackets and the housing ends of the D44 match up either.

That may turn out to be the case, we'll see. If i have the chance to grab the rear brakes off of a WJ, i'll see if i can make it work - so i run the same brakes front and rear - but i'm in no hurry.

From what I've seen already:
1. Yes the WJ's are 5x5, easy to redrill though.
2. The WJ caliper brackets have a 3" dia. center hole, haven't checked the bolt pattern yet.
3. The WJ rotors are deeper than ZJ, however it appears that the brackets are offset to make up the difference. If the axel shafts and housings are the same length then this should work.

I was just wondering if I would be the first to try this swap. My pinion bearings are starting to make noise, so I'll rebuilding the axle very shortly. While it's apart I'll find out. Hopefully it'll work and then I can start a search for WJ outers.

Back