• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$40 Bucks to have remote door lock reset!!!!!

Bub1357

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 4.0 auto 4wd and I called 5 dealerships in central ohio and the cheapest one said that they would reset it for $40. Isnt this just a quick fix, I have read that alot of people get it done for free. I dont really want to pay 40 bucks so is there any other way to have it reset?

I took the jeep to a dealership and they said that it had to be reprogrammed? I am not sure why, but I did just recently put new batteries in it. I dont know if that had anything to do with it.

you cant do it yourself on 97-01 XJs. you HAVE to have a chrysler delaership do it. it takes a special computer to tell the chip in the remote and the receiever in the car to start on the same code, which is a rolling code.
40 isnt bad, around here cheapest i could find was 50 and the most was 78, just to program it, not including the price of the remote.
free? fat chance. no such thing as a free lunch.

Sorry to jack thi,s but it seems like a good place to help my dilemma. I've got a 91, so I'm not sure how this works:

I found a 98 XJ in good condition. They guy will take my 91 and $1000 for it, but there aren't any keys. I can have a key cut at work, but I'm not sure if that'll solve the problem. Since it has keyless entry, does that mean it also has an immobilizer? And therefore having just a key cut using the VIN won't get the car started and pass inspection? I want this Jeep, but not if it'd going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it home. What will it take? Can my Dodge dealership have remotes coded using just the VIN also? Or do I have to have it towed to work and coded there?

Thanks guys! Sorry about the hijack!

alpinetiburon04 said:
Sorry to jack thi,s but it seems like a good place to help my dilemma. I've got a 91, so I'm not sure how this works:

I found a 98 XJ in good condition. They guy will take my 91 and $1000 for it, but there aren't any keys. I can have a key cut at work, but I'm not sure if that'll solve the problem. Since it has keyless entry, does that mean it also has an immobilizer? And therefore having just a key cut using the VIN won't get the car started and pass inspection? I want this Jeep, but not if it'd going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it home. What will it take? Can my Dodge dealership have remotes coded using just the VIN also? Or do I have to have it towed to work and coded there?

Thanks guys! Sorry about the hijack!
No immobilizer on 98. 99 was the first year it was an option. The dealer will need proof of ownership before they cut you a key with the VIN.
The keyless entry remote will need to be programmed to the Jeep (actually the other way around), it cannot be done with the VIN.

So the keyless entry isn't tied in with an alarm then? I can just open up the door and get it moving back to Dodge? I had an old Nissan with keyless entry and if I armed the car with the remote then unlocked it with the key, the alarm would go off forever and I couldn't start it until I disarmed the alarm.

Funny this should come up just now. I have an aftermarket (Commando) security system that was installed professionally for the former owner. The transmitter battery went dead yesterday and I could neither disarm the alarm system or start the Jeep with the key. I had no idea what was wrong until I just guessed that the transmitter's battery might be dead. Talk about unprepared and some place to go. I only bring this up as a forwarning that you should probably get it fixed back to "new condition." Otherwise it can turn into a big headache at the wrong time if its your DD.

Back