• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

info on this steering setup?

mack

NAXJA Forum User
i'm looking into this setup, does anyone have any info on this or run any products from them?
http://www.searchers4wd.com/home.htm
it looks like the heims should not be sitting flat on the knuckles like that or is that ok?
kit-image01.jpg

Very BEEFY! They are not flat on the knuckles it just looks that way in the picture. You still gunna drive it every day with that setup?

i wouldN't have that crap

look at the bend in the DL, that would be a PITA to center the steering wheel (if you even could)
plus it looks like the d30 knuckles have to be drilled and the DL probly hits the passenger side sway-bar link mount before it hits the steering lock

why not just DO Over The Knuckle steering conversion and be happy after you're finished Not disappointed.., most of the same parts apply to OTK add some mis-allignment bushing and relocate the trac-bar and you're there

2729306000048078817gzIXph_ph.jpg

heres mine took about 1 day including relocation of the trac-bar

yeah i drive i on the road with no sway bar but i'm always conscious to not to ever make any severe turns or swerves

JLane99XJ said:
i wouldN't have that crap

look at the bend in the DL, that would be a PITA to center the steering wheel (if you even could)
plus it looks like the d30 knuckles have to be drilled and the DL probly hits the passenger side sway-bar link mount before it hits the steering lock

why not just DO Over The Knuckle steering conversion and be happy after you're finished Not disappointed.., most of the same parts apply to OTK add some mis-allignment bushing and relocate the trac-bar and you're there

2729306000048078817gzIXph_ph.jpg

heres mine took about 1 day including relocation of the trac-bar

yeah i drive i on the road with no sway bar but i'm always conscious to not to ever make any severe turns or swerves
If he goes OTK then he will hit the TB and SB mounts.
By staying under he avoids them.
This is a nice clean setup. The only problem with leaving the tie rod under the knuckle is clearence.

91 Jeep Project said:
If its flexed right, the drag link grinds against the Tie Rod. I have never been of fan of this design.
What is good about it is the ability to center the misalignment in the heims.
By running a straight DL you end up with the heim angle nearly maxed out at rest. It doesn't take much driver's side wheel drop to put it in a bind.
The best of both is to put just enough bend in the DL to allow equal amounts of drop before the heims bottom out.

looks just like what i made for mine .i have no bump steer,no bind,axle is centered without issues.mine has a bit less bend but close.

kid4lyf said:
The best of both is to put just enough bend in the DL to allow equal amounts of drop before the heims bottom out.

but thats why god invented mis-allignment bushings so you wouldn't have to bend the dl

!!!1 :D

thats what im running but without the bend. that bend isn't necessary, but without it you will need misalignment heims or spacers. it's a great setup but i also have a custom built trac bar so i could trim stuff off that most couldn't. overall, thats about the simplest steering you could build and cheap if you do it yourself

you guy's with a setup like this, are they driven daily on the street? how does it feel onroad?

yes mine is a daily driver. some things that factor in are tires and the kind of heims you use. i've been running that setup almost everyday on and off road for over a year and love it. i actually just drove it to school(130 miles) with no problems. some advice would be to not cheap out too much on heims and don't run cheap tires. i recently went to more heims on my trac bar and with the steering heims getting close to worn out i would feel the tire vibes through them, but i was running the worst mud tires i've ever seen, bar none.

keep in mind that my setup is slightly different, but the same idea

Thats no different than the set up i have mack... Not having the misalignment spacers on the tie rod is ok. THere should be one on the bottom of the drag link though. That bend should not be there. My tie rod/ drag link just touch eachother when the left tire is stuffed, without the bend. And with that set up, I can't believe you don't have to cut off the sway bar mounts and part of the spring perch.

Now that i look back at the picture, it looks like the tie rod is also bent to move it foward and around all the stuff o nthe front end. Thats why the hiems are right o nthe knuckle. the knuckle is hold the tierod from flopping around sense it is not sraight

Last edited:
ipkyss said:
And with that set up, I can't believe you don't have to cut off the sway bar mounts and part of the spring perch.
Am I missing something?
Doesn't the OEM tie rod run under the knuckle? Like this one does?
The OEM tie rod doesn't hit anything does it?
Why would this?
Yet people on this thread keep insisting it must.
You run into these clearence problems when you bring the tie rod OVER the D30 knuckle.
If it's working for you, and apparently it is, run it and don't worry.

i think your right, the tierod looks dent also.

kit-image02.jpg

ipkyss said:
Thats no different than the set up i have mack... Not having the misalignment spacers on the tie rod is ok. THere should be one on the bottom of the drag link though. That bend should not be there. My tie rod/ drag link just touch eachother when the left tire is stuffed, without the bend. And with that set up, I can't believe you don't have to cut off the sway bar mounts and part of the spring perch.

Now that i look back at the picture, it looks like the tie rod is also bent to move it foward and around all the stuff o nthe front end. Thats why the hiems are right o nthe knuckle. the knuckle is hold the tierod from flopping around sense it is not sraight

looks alot like my old setup. It worked flawlessly!

cagedxj said:
It worked flawlessly!
No way man.
It must have hit all your suspension components and bent up the TR.

yeah your right it was a mess..... :twak:

mack said:
i'm looking into this setup, does anyone have any info on this or run any products from them?
http://www.searchers4wd.com/home.htm
it looks like the heims should not be sitting flat on the knuckles like that or is that ok?
kit-image01.jpg

alll in all it looks like a decent kit
no cutting , no welding
and as far as the tie rod being under the knuckle..its a tradeoff for not having to screw with the TB mount..( and it does really look like it has some sort of bend in it.)

only thing is that the drag link and track bar arent exactly parallel....
there could be some problems with DW if the alignment isnt set properly or if yoiu already are having steering issues ..
I thinking that the stock stabilizer mount on the axle wouldnt line up correctly to run thier available mount to the system

I just bought this one for my TJ. I havent yet installed it so cannot comment. but Did much searching before deciding on this one and I only say one complaint. Everyone else really liked the improvement!!

I am not a fan of Heim joints on the street, Wone thet begin to wear they get too noisy. I have one on my MJ in the track bar and so far its quiet, but when it begins to make noise I will replace it with a TRE.
Off road they are GREAT, better/more articulation range and very solid feeling.
the deciding factor for me would be its use, mostly to all OFFROAD, go for the HEIM. Mostly on, most defineately, go TRE!!!

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNST&Category_Code=S6

onetonsteeringkitdsc.jpg

Last edited:
Back