• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JC Whitney Rough Country Adj. Track Bar

jeepguy97 said:
All I'm going to say is you get what you pay for.
very well put. That thing does not look very beefy. Better to spend a little more now than alot later. I started with a RE 1600 and thought it was the cats meow. I never experienced the loosening issues with like some but adjustability is a huge pain as well as the drilling part. Additionally I got alot of flex from the stock frame mount. I now have a RE HD 1660 with mount and love it. Though I sold my 1600 for good money and got the 1660 used as a good deal and had to buy the mount new I bet I still ended up about $40-50 more than if I had bought it the first time.

Motto-Do it once and do it right

I have been running the Rough Country track bar for about 6 months without problems. Was too long for my 3.5 inches of lift in front so I had to trim approx 1/4 inch off the end to allow the tie rod to screw in further. I would say it's roughly equivalent to stock strength. Nobody complains about the stock ones but everybody complains about Rough Country. That said, if I were doing it today I would buy a beefier one from Rusty's or someplace. It's not much more money for some extra piece of mind.

xjtj said:
I have been running the Rough Country track bar for about 6 months without problems. Was too long for my 3.5 inches of lift in front so I had to trim approx 1/4 inch off the end to allow the tie rod to screw in further. I would say it's roughly equivalent to stock strength. Nobody complains about the stock ones but everybody complains about Rough Country. That said, if I were doing it today I would buy a beefier one from Rusty's or someplace. It's not much more money for some extra piece of mind.

I like this reply up to the point "It's not much more money for some extra piece of mind"
Well I paid 100. bucks for my Rough Country track bar! (wish I checked JCW) and I think that paying double (in your case 3 times) is MUCH more.. But I’m poor so it’s probably a relative statement. 
I think that if you’re a weekend off road person (light to medium abuse) smaller tires 32” or less, you do not need to spend 200 to 300 on a track bar .
Now if you going to lift 5inch or better and run 33" tires or larger and wheel “hard”
Then you will need to spend hard cash because the track bar is just the start

So far I have wheeled my Rough Country track bar 10 or so times and its still holding tight, now it’s a standard duty bar so don’t expect it to hold up like a $200+ Setup

Last edited:
i wouldn't buy equipment from Rough Country to mount on my Murray mower..

I will probabaly end up getting the Rusty's one, as I have had really good luck with their stuff. I was just curious to see if anyone was running the other.

jdbwrx said:
I will probabaly end up getting the Rusty's one, as I have had really good luck with their stuff. I was just curious to see if anyone was running the other.

RE HD > Rustys HD

I ran one on my old rig, and it is still on there. It is driven everyday. I drove it two nights ago for like thie first time in a year, and it still handles very well, and rides quite smooth. No breakage yet. So I guess they are ok for what you pay. JOE>

ahh the dreaded TRE style adjustable trackbar...

How i want to rid myself of mine...

That style trackbar has been a huge headache and $$$ input as time goes on...

in 1.5 years i have replaced the TRE 3 times, (at 25.99 a piece), cut down the trackbar because i went to a bigger front end, and had to re-tap it to an oddball taped size that was impossible to find and i had to pay a shop 85.00 to tap it, and am planing on ditching it entirely this summer in an effort to not have to replace that TRE again...

Here's my experience with it. My old joint was getting worn out and RC had just come out with theirs, so i figured why not. Before this,RC had been great to me. I'd picked up one of their 4.5" lifts a while back and overall liked it. I'd been supportive of them and they contacted me and wanted to use my xj for their ads(black 99 w/ tsl's). So basically i had a great relationship w/ them. The guy i deal with gave me a good deal on the trac bar so i went with it. It wasn't really any beefier than the stock one but it was adjustable I guess so I tried it. When i finally got to putting it on the threads on the joint were worthless. I got DW on the way home and they stripped out. I was drinking during the install but who doesn't when they work on their jeep. So, I of course got mad and called and emailed them. Later in the week before hearing back from them i just rethreaded it to the smaller metric size. It worked for a while but the first time i got on the trail(less than 1 mile long) i stripped it again. I finally got an email back saying it was just a stock TJ TRE costing $8. I looked into it and couldn't find anything close in town, and everything i found was $35+. SOO RC threw away our good relationship over what they say is an $8 part. btw, I called and left a message saying I would take 2 for $8 a piece.

if you do decide to go with it i'll sell you one cheap...

jdbwrx said:
I've had 2 bad experiences with Rubicon Express so I want to avoid them.

Weird I say the same with Rustys. I love RE compared to Crusty.

Back