• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Platinum plugs?good or bad?

Lusty

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here had problems with theyre platinum plugs. Some of the local mechanics at the chrysler dealerships who have owned an xj or any 4.0 have said they are crap plugs and to use just cheapos like champions. Maybe this is causing my EXTREMELY annoying miss all the time.

The 4.0 is not some exotic engine, more of a truck engine, low rpm big torque motor. Had a trooper II with the big 4 banger, tried plats in that and caused all kinds of problems including burnt valves. My 98XJ has near 300K on it, runs factory champions, starts every day and runs. I will however be trying a set of champion copper truck plugs this next time, I'm hearing rumours that the new dealer OEM plugs are NGK plats, will verify that first when it comes time to stockup on the tune up parts...

The main thing I've heard and have limited experience with platinum plugs are that they are good for vehicles with weak ignition systems. Mainly European and Japanese cars. In thos situations they might give 1-2 mpg. I have had them in some american motors and saw no increase in mpg or power. I haven't used then in my 4.0 and probably won't. The 4.0's ignition system is a good one. I also read this info in 'Dr.' Jacobs ignition book. I hear good things about Champion truck plugs or the NGK plugs in the 4.0. I think I had A/C in mine.
Tom

My 2.5 96 Caravan missed bad after platinum plugs were in a few days, dealer said they don't like platinums, but their v-6's do. I like autolite plugs, supposed to have a harder electrode, last a little longer, they work good for me.

After purchasing my XJ new in '00 and after 1000 miles, I installed Bosch platinum plugs. I now have over 102,000 miles on the SAME plugs. Runs strong on and off road. No starting problems. Also installed them on my wifes V6 Caravan and hers have over 80,000 miles.

I don't think you can just blame platinum plugs as the culprits as I've hear people complain about poor performance on every manufactures plugs.

I really don't think one is better than another unless you have oil burning or other engine problems.

That's my 2 cents.

RichP said:
I'm hearing rumours that the new dealer OEM plugs are NGK plats, will verify that first when it comes time to stockup on the tune up parts...
True about the NGK's. I just went to napa and got the original Champions. Always work good for me, and cheap. Change them every 30K and the old ones always look good. 99' 125,000. :)

I run Autolite Platinum plugs in all my rigs - no trouble here.

I do prefer the Autolite over the Bosch - take a few minutes to compare the two side-by-side, and you'll get an idea why. I'm not huge fan of the "shrouded" Bosch centre electrode (unless they've stopped doing it - but the lead in my mechanical pencil is usually bigger than that...)

5-90

I run plats because they are a better plug (superior materials) and I can expect 100k service life also more reliability.
But I find it interesting that you can ask 100 folks if a platinum spark plug works in their Jeep 4.L and you will get yes and no and other silly answers about is being a truck engine? “so I guess that AMC designed I6 engine was a truck engine” AMC was crazy to put them older 232 and 258 truck engines in cars…oh hold on the I6 was used by AMC before they had any trucks or Jeeps. Wow they were rebels. And they improved the engine in the late 80s and called it a 4.L (or is this when it became a truck engine?) and it can’t run a platinum plug?
So if all jeeps are built the same how can this be? Why do they run fine in my engine and others claim they “miss” come on this sounds like a story that was told way to many times.
I have run plats since the 80s in every Jeep and car I have never run across a problem (and didn’t expect to)
So I guess that makes me just lucky that a modern spark plug made with superior materials that will last 3 to 4 times longer than a standard plug works in my Jeep.
Oh not to mention that the plug is made to work in my Jeep per the plug manufacture.
Surly they don’t make plugs and sell them to the public and not know whether they work in an engine they designed the plug to work in?
Right..so I guess that I am lucky.
And lucky also are those other folks that can run Platinum’s that are designed for their Jeep 4.L (give me a break)

Just my opinion :)

RichP said:
I will however be trying a set of champion copper truck plugs this next time

Don't bother. I've had mine in there for over 20,000 miles and haven't seen a bit of difference. Gonna go back to the single-electrode Bosch platinums at the next oil change.

5-90 said:
I run Autolite Platinum plugs in all my rigs - no trouble here.

I do prefer the Autolite over the Bosch - take a few minutes to compare the two side-by-side, and you'll get an idea why. I'm not huge fan of the "shrouded" Bosch centre electrode (unless they've stopped doing it - but the lead in my mechanical pencil is usually bigger than that...)

5-90
DITTO bosch platinums are junk because of this shrouded electrode it burns down and you cant tell it because its so small diameter then the missing starts, not to mention converter burning down shortly after, milage going to crap, and a host of other "fun" surprises

i've had platinum 4s work beautifully in my 64 and 88 lincolns, but the 4.0 litre XJ motor really doesn't seem to like them. it ran WAY better with the cheapo buck twenty eight autolites than it did with the six buck bosch platinum4s.

Comanchedude said:
I run plats because they are a better plug (superior materials) and I can expect 100k service life also more reliability.
But I find it interesting that you can ask 100 folks if a platinum spark plug works in their Jeep 4.L and you will get yes and no and other silly answers about is being a truck engine? “so I guess that AMC designed I6 engine was a truck engine” AMC was crazy to put them older 232 and 258 truck engines in cars…oh hold on the I6 was used by AMC before they had any trucks or Jeeps. Wow they were rebels. And they improved the engine in the late 80s and called it a 4.L (or is this when it became a truck engine?) and it can’t run a platinum plug?
So if all jeeps are built the same how can this be? Why do they run fine in my engine and others claim they “miss” come on this sounds like a story that was told way to many times.
I have run plats since the 80s in every Jeep and car I have never run across a problem (and didn’t expect to)
So I guess that makes me just lucky that a modern spark plug made with superior materials that will last 3 to 4 times longer than a standard plug works in my Jeep.
Oh not to mention that the plug is made to work in my Jeep per the plug manufacture.
Surly they don’t make plugs and sell them to the public and not know whether they work in an engine they designed the plug to work in?
Right..so I guess that I am lucky.
And lucky also are those other folks that can run Platinum’s that are designed for their Jeep 4.L (give me a break)

Just my opinion :)
are you talking about bosch? put some of those fabulous plugs in a new 4 cylinder jap car then wait for the p0420 catalyst efficiency code to appear in the pcm illuminating everyones favorite light on the dash, then take it into the dealer for warranty service and see what kind of slap in the face you get..(is this where you tell the service writer to give you a break, and he trys not to laugh?)...I dare you....then you'll find out its not just theroetical bullshit like you think it is....not to mention the 1/2 dozen cars in the western states (several makes by the way) that are being systematically investigated because the exhaust got so damn hot it caught the carpet and sound deadening asphault crap on the floorpan on fire inside the car (lemmie guess a misfire wont cause excessive exhaust temperatures).....This isnt a rumor dude its from a standard ignition tech rep....and guess what they had in common Ill give you 20 tries ...and a hint...... it was fabulous german engineering......and no they werent engineered specifically for your jeep "gimmie a break" I have yet to see any and I say ANY platinum plug last 100,000 miles

Last edited:
Lusty said:
Has anyone here had problems with theyre platinum plugs. Some of the local mechanics at the chrysler dealerships who have owned an xj or any 4.0 have said they are crap plugs and to use just cheapos like champions. Maybe this is causing my EXTREMELY annoying miss all the time.
If there standard bosch platinums lose them and the miss will go into the trash with them I dont have anything against other plats though just the bosches they are the crapola suprema of the plug world

75SV1 said:
The main thing I've heard and have limited experience with platinum plugs are that they are good for vehicles with weak ignition systems. Mainly European and Japanese cars. In thos situations they might give 1-2 mpg. I have had them in some american motors and saw no increase in mpg or power. I haven't used then in my 4.0 and probably won't. The 4.0's ignition system is a good one. I also read this info in 'Dr.' Jacobs ignition book. I hear good things about Champion truck plugs or the NGK plugs in the 4.0. I think I had A/C in mine.
Tom

I put plats in my 84 Toyota pickup. It didn't help, and in fact made it run a little hotter and the mpg was the same or maybe even a bit worse. The mechanic at the dealer said plats would nto help those engines, they are mainly for high-performance engines, and the Toys were made to use the Nippon, or NGK plugs. I bought a new set of NGK, and the truck runs better with them in.

I think it all depends n the engine.

majic_tech said:
are you talking about bosch? put some of those fabulous plugs in a new 4 cylinder jap car then wait for the p0420 catalyst efficiency code to appear in the pcm illuminating everyones favorite light on the dash, then take it into the dealer for warranty service and see what kind of slap in the face you get..(is this where you tell the service writer to give you a break, and he trys not to laugh?)...I dare you....then you'll find out its not just theroetical bullshit like you think it is....not to mention the 1/2 dozen cars in the western states (several makes by the way) that are being systematically investigated because the exhaust got so damn hot it caught the carpet and sound deadening asphault crap on the floorpan on fire inside the car (lemmie guess a misfire wont cause excessive exhaust temperatures).....

What in the world your rant has to do with the subject at hand I have no idea
You’re thinking about some Jap car discussion group?

I was talking about Jeeps and the rumor that Platinum plugs seem to work in some Jeeps but not others for no explained reason. (“It just is” kind of stuff)
I have and do run Bosch and Autolite and have apparently been lucky as I earlier stated and have not had problems over the years
And platinum plug will run 100k in a properly running engine and I have had a couple cars run 100k on a set of plugs my self, as have many newer cars that have plats from the factory. “This is not really anything new by the way”
But my intentions were to incite “thought” not argument as it is really strange why you can have this question brought up umpteen times.
Like any good story if it is told enough times people will believe it whether it makes any sense or not.
Kind of like the story that if you leave the tailgate down on your pickup you will improve gas mileage well without any research or proof people believe that to be true and you can count the tailgates left down due to the “story” when in fact it is not true and has been proven and tested not to improve mileage not to mention the engineers that designed trucks new the fact from the get go. It don’t help and my contention is that the Jeep and platinum plug story is just that some goofball started the story and it grew

Again this is my opinion

I have to side with the platinum crowd, and I particularly like the Bosch. Iwas at first leary of that smallish shrouded electrode but I have not seen them burn down. Further, they seem to hold the proper gap longer than plugs with an exposed electrode. I wrote on another thread a few weeks ago about an old S-10 4 banger truck I had since new that gave me a lot of trouble with all kinds of spark plugs due to their location in a spot on the engine with a tremendous amount of ambient heat. The truck is presently running Bosch plats I put in well over 100,000 miles back. The manual's recommended plug change interval was something like 24,000, and I never got more than 12 out of anything else. The tips of a fresh set of Champs literally exploded climbing their first long grade. The NGK plugs I tried lasted until they reached operating temperature, at which time they started missing hard - I kid you not.

Lots of others on all the threads I have read here about spark plugs report poor performance from the Bosch plats, but somewhat better success with the Autolites. My Jeep had Autolite plats when I bought it. One of the wires went bad a while back and I replaced the wires and the single plug that was fouled from running under the bad wire. I don't know how many miles are on them, but the others look fine.

Even premium spark plugs are relatively inexpensive. I won't be afraid to try the Bosch plugs when the time comes to get a set. If they don't work out, it'll be the first time they haven't for me. 75,000 in a 89 Lebaron, 100,000 in a 92 Grand Am, and 100,000 in that 83 S-10. So I'll just have to see for myself how they do in the Jeep.

Back