• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Benefits to having a catalytic converter???

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
90 MJ 4.0L

Are there any benefits (besides environmental and legal) to having a catalytic converter?

Does it effect mpg, engine temperature, oil pressure, ??? in any way???

I do not have one currently (no emissions testing)- but need to replace some exhaust pieces and thought about putting one back on if it has any mechanical benefits.

TIA-prl

I don't think it helps with engine temp and oil pressure too much but I was running with no exhaust from the cat back and besides the awesome noise the only thing I noticed was a shift in horsepower probably due to the lack of back-pressure. Mine's a 90XJ.

Forgot to add, I also had a big drop in gas mileage too.

Zoro said:
I don't think it helps with engine temp and oil pressure too much but I was running with no exhaust from the cat back and besides the awesome noise the only thing I noticed was a shift in horsepower probably due to the lack of back-pressure. Mine's a 90XJ.

Forgot to add, I also had a big drop in gas mileage too.

Drop in milage with no exhaust?

WobblesXJ said:
Drop in milage with no exhaust?
Yeah that doesn't sound right to me either. I had always heard that on pre-OBD-II vehicles it really just made the gas mileage and performance better, as long as there isn't a downstream 02 sensor.

Before I knew better, I removed my cat because it was rattling really bad. I had a significant drop in MPG after removing it. After the fact, I SPOBI'd and found the 4.0 needs a certain amount of back-pressure to be at optimum performance. What that pressure is, I don't reall. SPOBI it out if your interested. If I had to do it over, I would have found another cat and replaced it.

Just a thought from left field,.... how about installing a catalytic convertor on your Jeep because it will limit the amount of Nitrous Oxide and other pollutants you send into the atomosphere and its the right thing to do?

Still pondering the question...

Can anyone else confirm an increase in mpg with a catalytic converter?

As for the "right thing to do"- I bought it without one and I guess if my local gov't was concerned about it- they would test vehicles. I'll blame it on the gov't. Maybe they should pay for me to upgrade back to OEM.

prljeep said:
Still pondering the question...

Can anyone else confirm an increase in mpg with a catalytic converter?

As for the "right thing to do"- I bought it without one and I guess if my local gov't was concerned about it- they would test vehicles. I'll blame it on the gov't. Maybe they should pay for me to upgrade back to OEM.
They test thousands every year with road block setups.
The OSP will also check for it on a traffic stop, the fine is $250.00 if it's missing.

yeah I heard about it needing backpressure as well. The 4.0 is a low torque engine, especially the renix. And back pressure helps with low end torque.

I was just trying to clear up what he said for the others.

For the record I dont' have a cat, just a muffler that comes out the side and with 31's and 3.55 gears I get ~15mpg after correcting for larger tires. I was wondering why this was so much lower than other people's claims. Perhaps it's the less restrictive exhaust, eh?

yardape said:
Just a thought from left field,.... how about installing a catalytic convertor on your Jeep because it will limit the amount of Nitrous Oxide and other pollutants you send into the atomosphere and its the right thing to do?
"The right thing to do?" Why has no one flamed this guy? :lecture: Buy a pure electric car if you want to do the right thing, instead of running two large Jeeps.

I was thinking the same thing....just didn't want to say it.

Maybe his are converted to running off like 16 car batteries and a solar panel on the roof...

My mileage dropped when I hollowed out my cat, too.

I only did it cuz i crushed it on the trail. The next time I am tearing my exhaust off, I'll be putting a new cat back on.

jeo said:
"The right thing to do?" Why has no one flamed this guy? :lecture: Buy a pure electric car if you want to do the right thing, instead of running two large Jeeps.

Well why not go a step further and ride a bicycle?.. Unless you can convert your Jeep to electric. oh then how to haul the ton of batteries??

yardape had a valid point ..If it’s a DD then is should have a cat
We can help is small steps to control the human destruction of the environment
And some day if not too late I hope we can run a clean burning fuel in our Jeeps. Until then we use converters on our rides.

Ok Flame away

Comanchedude said:
Well why not go a step further and ride a bicycle?.. Unless you can convert your Jeep to electric. oh then how to haul the ton of batteries??

yardape had a valid point ..If it’s a DD then is should have a cat
We can help is small steps to control the human destruction of the environment
And some day if not too late I hope we can run a clean burning fuel in our Jeeps. Until then we use converters on our rides.

Ok Flame away

The main thing that bothered me in the original thing he wrote was "the right thing to do." He's got no right to judge what is right and wrong for me. And the fact that he owns not one, but two gas guzzling Jeeps with a "high flo cat" that probably don't do as well for emissions as stock ones. Sorry, I should never post stoned.... :smoker:

Yeah I'm in the process of redoing my exhaust and a cat is in the works. I don't consider myself a "greenie" but it doesn't hurt to put one on (other than my wallet, and they can be had cheap).

Im no greenie either, but I do think if your gonna live on earth or have offspring that will, then at least be responsible, its not a matter of selectivity bad enough air quality will eventually kill everything, even the plants that keep idiots stoned

jeo said:
The main thing that bothered me in the original thing he wrote was "the right thing to do." He's got no right to judge what is right and wrong for me. And the fact that he owns not one, but two gas guzzling Jeeps with a "high flo cat" that probably don't do as well for emissions as stock ones. Sorry, I should never post stoned.... :smoker:
see^

majic_tech said:
Im no greenie either, but I do think if your gonna live on earth or have offspring that will, then at least be responsible, its not a matter of selectivity bad enough air quality will eventually kill everything, even the plants that keep idiots stoned
no need for name calling. also no need for someone to tell me what is right for me to do. you make your decisions, don't lecture me on mine. also don't yap about air quality when you're not driving an economical vehicle. see my point?

battery or gas, pollution is still being created, battery wont make, charge or dispose of itself, maybe solar charger would work, but how long would that take to charge the battery packs long enough to get a decent trip mileage interval?

Back