• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Optima Battery Side Terminals

jxj

NAXJA Member # 1559
I was wondering if anyone installed one of these side terminal adapter for optima batteries
jlaudio00220088_1.jpg

My plan was to attach the main battery cables from the starter/alternator to the top posts along with my winch cables and install all of my accessory lines to the side posts with a set of side terminal adapters (aux. fuse block, lights, arb pump etc). Any comments if this is a good or bad idea.

jxj said:
I was wondering if anyone installed one of these side terminal adapter for optima batteries
jlaudio00220088_1.jpg

My plan was to attach the main battery cables from the starter/alternator to the top posts along with my winch cables and install all of my accessory lines to the side posts with a set of side terminal adapters (aux. fuse block, lights, arb pump etc). Any comments if this is a good or bad idea.

That is what they were intended for.

cracker said:
That is what they were intended for.
Urgh...dialup sucks but I recall Optima saying a few years ago that the side terminals were not intended for heavy wiring (starters, lights and winches) but were supposed to be for light-duty apps like constant power to the radio.

...Waiting for www.optimabatteries.com to load...

Yucca-Man said:
Urgh...dialup sucks but I recall Optima saying a few years ago that the side terminals were not intended for heavy wiring (starters, lights and winches) but were supposed to be for light-duty apps like constant power to the radio.

...Waiting for www.optimabatteries.com to load...

Did you read the initial post?
jxj said:
My plan was to attach the main battery cables from the starter/alternator to the top posts along with my winch cables and install all of my accessory lines to the side posts with a set of side terminal adapters (aux. fuse block, lights, arb pump etc).

I had the same understanding that the side terminals were not intended for starters and winches. I think some lights should be fine but I wouldn't go too far.

Yeah, I read it, but was looking for more info at the same time. With what you've described, it should be okay.

Finally found the tidbit I was looking for, and it's no longer in the FAQ but rather is found under "Wiring Tips" - Optima simply recommends you "Connect high amperage accessories such as a winch to the top terminals only. Do NOT use the side terminals." Wow...that's what you already had planned. :shrug:

Yucca-Man said:
Yeah, I read it, but was looking for more info at the same time. With what you've described, it should be okay.

I'll back this up. Both my previous and current XJs have had Yellowtops in them, and light-load stuff is exactly what the side posts are intended for.

Having said that, I ran my 2000W inverter via a pair of Warn 8' reciprocating winch cables directly from the sideposts. This was never an issue, but I had also massively over-specced the inverter - the maximum load I probably ever put on it was close to 1200W. Never had a problem with battery drain, life, or reliability, but YMMV; that was an aggregate 1200W from realtively low-draw devices that weren't always on or firing up at the same moment. Corrosion on the cable terminals was surprisingly rapid, though.

Last edited:
About side posts and high amperage devices...

Side posts aren't that durable, with a high amperage device comes poential for a lot of heat. That heat can melt a side post right out of a battery, I know; I've done it with a shorted starter.

There's a reason auto makers got rid of side post technology.

In a perfect world side posts would be fine for the starter, unfortunatly when throwing hard starts due to freezing weather or mechanical trouble it quickly becomes a bad idea.

Back