• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 lockouts and protection...Goatman!

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
First, I have been searching my rear off trying to find out what Richard is running for hub protection on his D44. I KNOW I saw it listed recently, but can't seem to find it. So, who makes those things and where can I get some? Do you have to use a tool to turn the lockout since it sits in a bit? Finally, where's the cheapest place to get Warn lockouts for the D44? Jeff

Isn't he running drive flanges? I'm also interested in them if so.

They are made by Trail Sport. They don't have a web page, but I'll post a link below that has product and contact information. I just called them and ordered a pair. I'm surprised that I don't see more people running them, since it's so easy to seriously bang up the locking hubs. You don't need any special tool to lock/unlock the hubs, although sometimes it might be nice to have. The last time I checked, they were only made for D44's. They fit nicely with steel wheels, but when I went to aluminum wheels they were a little loose and rattled. I went to Pep Boys and got a couple of large O rings and slipped them over the hub protectors, now they fit tightly with the alloy rims. Check mail order places, like 4Wheel Parts or Drivetrain Direct, and shop for a good price. I got mine from Drivetrain Direct, plus some spares.

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/00may/05052000_trailsport.htm

I just can't seem to understand how these things go on and stay on. For one, my stock '89 Grand Wagoneer aluminum rims only have about 1/16" clearance between them and the hub. The stock Chevy ralley steel wheels I also have are just as tight. I measure the wheel hole to be about 3.5" which is also a rough measurement of the hub. It is my understanding that the protector goes on first and then the wheel, so how much steel is actually covering the hub? I imagine the protector fits over the hub with a pretty tight fit, right? after getting banged up, do they come off easily? Remember Mike Jarvis hub that expanded when he broke the lockout? Wouldn't that have really jammed the protector onto the hub making disassembly extremely difficult? Do they have a small flange in the rear which the wheel presses up against to hold them on? Also, how much were they? Thanks for any details. Jeff

Jeff, where'd you get those weird wheels? ;)

The hub protector goes into the center hole of the wheel and has a small tapered flange at it's base, then the wheel mounts onto the hub. When I take my wheels off, the protectors stay in the wheels. They fit real tight on my previous steel wheels, so I ran a round file around the hole a couple of times, and then they slid in and out just fine. They fit nicely in my allow wheels but rattled a little, so I put an O ring on them which solved the problem.

I'd have to remove a wheel to check the clearance, but it doesn't seem to be a tight fit. I just put them on and have never had any problems, other than the rattling. I've taken my wheels on and off numerous times, and it's not a tight fit when sliding the protector over the hub when mounting the wheel. I do know they have two lengths of protector, based on which hubs you have. When you order, they ask you about the length of your hubs, mounting face to outside of hub. The protectors themselves are very stout, and heavy......there's no way you'll ever damage one of them.

I'd give them a call, they have to be familiar with your questions.

I called Trail Sport last night and was told they are about $110 for a pair and they don't have many left. They come unfinished and the company is supposedly getting out of the manufactureing business since it is so restrictive in California. They also build complete vehicles for folks which they will continue to do. Any way, they said most aftermarket wheels have a 4.25" center hole which the hub protector slips into. Factory wheels fit much tighter on the hub and mine have a 3.5" diameter hole, so the hub protectors will not work with my rims. They are made from a piece of DOM tubing and apparently have gone through a couple variations of manufacture. That's about all the inf. I have on them. Jeff

Back