• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C Post Drill / Tap

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, found nothing under search, so I'm curious what you all thought. I am mounting my Hi-Lift jack on the inside of my jeep where the spare tire used to go, angled forward to the "oh shit" passanger handle. I am not comfortable with the handle being used as a mounting point and was wanting to drill and tap the "C" post (the third post from the windshield), put a peice of threaded round stock in there and use it as a mounting point. I was wanting to drill and tap to 1/2" so as it's a secure point and that's just about as big as you can fit through the Hi-Lift. Any thoughts as to whither this is a good idea or bad? I don't want to mount it outside for numerous reasons, and I'm just wondering if drilling the "C" post will weaken it. Thanks...Nick

the weakening is not realy the prob if you only doing one hole but the fact that it is just sheet metal is going to make it hard to tap. you will need a nutsert or weld a nut on there because there will not be enough meat to hold the rod otherwise.

the post is only a peice of sheet metal? not thick? I could have sworn when I cut the top off of my 87 that it was pretty thick. Hmm, I'll check again. Any ideas if it is only a thin peice of sheetmetal other than welding?

Back