• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing RE H&T on 242 Live webcam

Rawbrown

NAXJA Forum User
Sunday Jan 15 around 3pm.
Yup, I will have a webcam up thru Yahoo Messenger while I install a RE 1801 Hack and Tap into a NP 242 t-case. Kinda as a live tutorial kinda thing. Puting it out for those interested.
My Yahoo ID is Rawbrown (duh) and I will probably start it up after the game around 2-3ish in the afternoon.
I will be covering a couple of issues regaurding how to better retain the seal and get the drill and tap centered. I might have sound but for now it will only be video. anyone is welcome to watch or criticize. probably have a chatroom open for it maybe. will see.

cool!

kinda makes me want to get a yahoo ID...

will do, I am going online in about 10 minutes.
I gotta spend a few cleaning. haven't had much time for that this week.

OK 5 minutes.
I might get the audio working also.

up and running

Right now I am working on setting up a detroit and 4.88's in a D44.
the t-case should be here in a bit and then I'll go to town.
Anyone can feel free to post questions. I do have audio so Chat is available.

stoneattic said:
Damn! I missed this post and I getting ready to install the RE1801 on a 242 also.

Like avengeusa said, did you save the video?
double damn, I would love to see this video also. I have been wondering how this conversion is and would like to get a better idea, and do it right the first time, for once.

i was considering an H&T, but have never done one yet so i am a little unfarmiliar with it, but i have done the whole shaft swap and it is pretty straight forward and simple

Sorry, didn't save the video.
couple of things I recomend for the 1801.
dimple the aluminum around the seal. I use a punch and go around the circle every inch or so. this deforms the aluminum into the seal to make sure it seats. but don't swing the hammer to hard. it only takes a little dimpling.
#2 make sure the washer in the yoke flange is tight, if not then tighten it up with a few smacks with the hammer.
#3 when cutting the shaft, put the jeep in neutral with the engine runing and the t-case in 2wd. use a cutoff wheel and all you need to do is hold the wheel in one spot. As the shaft turns it works like a lathe.
with the engine in neutral the shaft will still turn and youll get a very straight cut. In fact, someone showed up and was looking at the cuttoff piece wondering how the heck we got it cut so clean. we let him figure it out.
#4 after you cut, make sure to dish the end of the shaft a bit so that its easier to center the drill.
#5 find true center of the shaft, don't guess. I used a square with a "V" attachment so that I jsut had to scrib a line. then use a center punch to dimple the center. start your drill and only go about 1/4" deep then start the engine and put the jeep in gear again while your drilling. this will help you drill straight down the center.
#6 RTV the crap out of the end of the shaft before putting the flange on. it should be squeezing out the bolt hole. clean away the exess and use a drop of locktight on the bolt. torque to spec.

Back