• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help w/ decoding axle tag

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i saw a thread on here where some of you knew how to decode the numbers on the metal tag on the rear end to figure out the gear ratio and stuff. i couldn't remember any specifics about the thread so no luck with searching. I found an XJ w/ the 4 cyl, 5 spd today at the junkyard so i took the tag and need help to figure out if it has the 4.10's. if anyone can help let me know. here's what the tag looks like, sorry it looks like crap, but hopefully you get the idea...
------------------
l 11 605293 3D l
l 8953003695 l
-------------------

01_XJ said:
i saw a thread on here where some of you knew how to decode the numbers on the metal tag on the rear end to figure out the gear ratio and stuff. i couldn't remember any specifics about the thread so no luck with searching. I found an XJ w/ the 4 cyl, 5 spd today at the junkyard so i took the tag and need help to figure out if it has the 4.10's. if anyone can help let me know. here's what the tag looks like, sorry it looks like crap, but hopefully you get the idea...
------------------
l 11 605293 3D l
l 8953003695 l
-------------------
Hmmm I Think you will want to pop open the cover and count the teeth or count the turns of the yoke in relation to the axleshaft.

86XJ,Dana 35,std diff,4.11 gears!

01_XJ said:
------------------
l 4 11 605293 3D l
l 8953003695 l
-------------------
I think your missing a number, but yah I would guess 4.11/4.10 also.

605293-3 is an open model 35 rear axle with 4.11 gears out of a 86 XJ utility.

Back