• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Seats

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well I searched on this and it looks like you guys have toyed with the idea, but no one has actually done it. Would it be possible to swap in ZJ seats, front and rear. I don't doubt that the front can be done with minor modifcation, but is the back even possible???

My only big concern is the width, how much wider are the grands than us. Because that would definently be an issue for the back seat. I know the ZJ's have little black tabs that are used for the mounting of the bottom half of the seat. Since we have that piece of metal that sticks up, you could just integrate the mounting from an old ZJ to put that in. And I bet the top part of the seat mounts in the same place as ours does..........:cool:

I know the front can be done because a couple of years ago one of the guys who came to some NAC events had ZJ seats in an early XJ.

Don't have any idea regarding the rear, but my off the cuff guess would be that it's probably more work than it's worth. (Although the split rear seat would be nice ...)

I think that in some other counties that the XJ came with ZJ seats during the 90's. Australia comes to mind, but I cant remember. I think from what I remember seeing that it was just the ZJ fronts. I'd be really interested in the conversion being that I've been jonesing for some new front seats for a while.

Well, I can pick up some ZJ seats for real cheap. I don't mind being the test rat on this one, because if it works its going to look very nice. I also would love the split rear seat, that way when I need just a little bit more room in the back I don't have to fold down the whole seat. I think the finished product would be worth the effort, then again I haven't started the project yet.........:D

Was there ever any progress made here? I know its old but I want split folding rear seats in my XJ... :D

BlackSport96 said:
Was there ever any progress made here? I know its old but I want split folding rear seats in my XJ... :D

lol, no I actually never did it. The back seats from the ZJ are just to wide. I figured out the only way to do it would be to take the longer side apart, shave off some foam and have them reupholstered. Never got far enough into it to take a look at how the side would have to mount up. Hell, I don't even have that rig anymore................ :laugh3:

I have power buckets from a 96 ZJ Laredo in my 96 XJ. I made brackets to adapt them, but also to move the seats back for more leg room.

Oh, and you have to "massage" the tranny tunnel a bit to make the power seat adjuster fit on the driver side.

--Matt

ah well, maybe we'll just have to start petitioning Mastercraft seats to make something for us...

Back