• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

85 d30 cv to u-joint compatibility

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,

I haven't broken a cv axleshaft yet but Winterfest is coming up and I have a feeling that I might break one there. So I would like to bring some spares.

I have done some searching on this but couldn't come up with anything concrete as to what is easily compatible with my 85 d30. Could I just go to the local yard and pull the shafts off of another 1985 d30 and would these axleshafts fit right in or do I have to change other things?

What year cherokees will work for me to pull shafts from that would be the direct swap? I am not worried about the smaller u-joint size since I only run a four cylinder unless the bigger u-joint axleshafts will fit in with no problem.

So what will work for me?

Kim.

creeperjeep said:
its a direct swap all years
but you have to adress the vacuum disco issue, if you have it

Is the 260 a direct swap? Is the 297 a direct swap? If the 297 is than I will go with that. No I don't have a vac. dissconnect axle. Mine is a select trac with the vac on my 229 tranfer case.

Kim

So any axleshaft out of any cherokee will work? Good. I was looking at a cherokee with the 297 joints at the junkyard so I think that I will pick those up. I think that the cherokee is a 96.

Wait, isn't there a difference in the axleshafts between abs and non-abs? Will the abs axleshafts work in a non-abs?

Thanks for the help.

Kim.

No, the axle shafts are the same. The ABS comes in somewhere else.

Or I'm full of it, but I'm pretty sure that I'm right here. I've installed aftermarket shafts in two ABS xj's.

If your going through the trouble of changing them, order yourself some Spicer 760 u-joints and put into those shafts. They are the replacement for the 297 (same fit), but LOADS stronger. You'll prolly spend $60 or so on a pair, but very worth it.

Back