• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing the fluid in a 9"

None....
So what would be the easiest way to change the fluid in the 9" without pulling the 3rd member? I really dont wanna pull both shafts, the driveline and the 3rd member to drain it.

First idea: Pull one shaft and jack it up on the opposite side trying to drain it out through the shaft. Not exactly the safest way to go about it.

Second Idea: Take the first idea, add a pump from the bottle of 90w, put the hose on the bottom of the housing and start pumping til I get clean fluid out the empty shaft side.

Third Idea: Take a pump, reverse it so I am sucking the old fluid out into a gallon container to make sure I get as much out as possible. Then add the usuall way.

Which do you think would work the best?

Any other idea, feel free to tell.

I put this into modified because its a 9".

If you dont know what a 9" is please refrain from being a dumbass and asking. Just let it go.

I've seen some Toyota 8" axles drained the following way...

The first time you have to pull everything, but from then on it's just a drain and fill...

Remove the bottom two studs (that secure the 3rd). Drill the vacated holes and tap for a corresponding bolt.

The next time you need to drain and fill, you just pull the two bolts and drain.

Fill as normal.

What else do you have to do anyway? :)

Dirk Pitt said:
What else do you have to do anyway? :)

Ya know...........Stuff.

That seems like more work than the pulling of the 3rd member.

Remember, the purpose of this is to preserve my laziness. Not to do away with it.

After tapping the hole, I would use a rubber washer or O-ring with the newley aquired bolt. I had to do a similar procedure. Before I implemented the rubber washer, the fluid leaked.

Tapping would be the easiest way. Just make sure that you get all the metal shavings out of the diff with a magnet or q-tip.

Acually, I would even contend that as long as the diff bolts to the third member are not all rusted shut, droping the third member would be easiest way. If you want to set yourself up for an easier way for next time you change the fluid, the drill and tap way would be best for future fluid changes.

Last edited:
When I did mine I pulled the shafts and the third member. It isn't fun...and that is why people add drain plugs. I just shaved mine and I still didn't add a drain plug. I hope to not be going in there very often.

0313 said:
So what would be the easiest way to change the fluid in the 9" without pulling the 3rd member? I really dont wanna pull both shafts, the driveline and the 3rd member to drain it.

First idea: Pull one shaft and jack it up on the opposite side trying to drain it out through the shaft. Not exactly the safest way to go about it.

Second Idea: Take the first idea, add a pump from the bottle of 90w, put the hose on the bottom of the housing and start pumping til I get clean fluid out the empty shaft side.

Third Idea: Take a pump, reverse it so I am sucking the old fluid out into a gallon container to make sure I get as much out as possible. Then add the usuall way.

Which do you think would work the best?

Any other idea, feel free to tell.

I put this into modified because its a 9".

If you dont know what a 9" is please refrain from being a dumbass and asking. Just let it go.

Dude, are you lazy or what. I'll help ya pull the 3rd on Friday. and I do think the drill andtapping idea is a good one

whats a 9"?

is that better than an 8.8 because the number is bigger?

i hear a 60 is good - that has a high number

XJ_ranger said:
whats a 9"?

is that better than an 8.8 because the number is bigger?

i hear a 60 is good - that has a high number

The second and third numbers dont count when it comes to axles.

For example, an 8.8 would be the same as an 8.25 and just a plain 8, all of them equal 8. They are just hold different tire sizes.
Which is bigger than a 6 or what you called a 60.
So a 9 is bigger than a 6, and an 8 is smaller than a 9.
A 44 on the other hand, is only slightly bigger than a 35. Hence, 4 is higher than 3.
Also, numbers are bigger then letters. So a rockwell is smaller than all of the numbered axles. Thats kind of a given, because the rockwell is more than likely going to be a 2.5.

Can we make this a sticky now?

0313 said:
The second and third numbers dont count when it comes to axles.

For example, an 8.8 would be the same as an 8.25 and just a plain 8, all of them equal 8. They are just hold different tire sizes.
Which is bigger than a 6 or what you called a 60.
So a 9 is bigger than a 6, and an 8 is smaller than a 9.
A 44 on the other hand, is only slightly bigger than a 35. Hence, 4 is higher than 3.
Also, numbers are bigger then letters. So a rockwell is smaller than all of the numbered axles. Thats kind of a given, because the rockwell is more than likely going to be a 2.5.

Can we make this a sticky now?

Oh....so a dana 30 IS biggggger than a rockwell. Now I C. I always wondered if I could go to a bigger tire on my rockwells. I think i'll be bold and get a 225/35 R16. I know I might snap an axle, but a 225 is 5.625 times bigger than my 40" bogger. I will need a much smaller polyester rim however to run my new tires. I hope my new huge tires will allow me to drive on the grass.

Back