• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opininion on this welder please.

boomhauer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, my fiance was a sweetheart and got me a welder for Christmas. I prefer to purchase my own tools but i think she did not too bad. It is a Hobart Handler 140. It uses standard household electrical power but i was going to purchase a welder that used 220V. In hindsight i think she may have picked the right welder for me cause i can take it to the cottage or whatever and not worry about finding power. Any opinions on this machine. Thanks. P.S. Total newb at welding.

I have a hh135 and am very happy with it. You will not be able to go any thicker then 1/4" and 1/4" is pushing it (would have to use flux core with two passes). Take a look at Toolking.com, they have hh180 and it is not much more expensive then the hh140, the problem is you need to set up a 220v socket and it is not nearly as portable as the 110v hh140.
Hobart is owned my Miller and has great customer support and quality machines.

Katarn

I've been welding for several years now and i was actually looking to pick up either that same model or the lincoln version. Doesn't look like to bad of a welder for the money. It seems to be the perfect little mig welding machine for around the house, farm etc. Can weld up to 1/4 in a single pass which isn't to bad, but could be better. If you have to weld anything over a 1/4 inch you could just run a couple passes. For a beginner, i would say thats a nice buy.

I have the Handler 135, good machine for the money. Only 20% duty cycle, but everything in it's class is like that. HF has factory reconditioned (full warranty) 135's for $379 + ship.

i have had that same welder, and i now have a lincoln 175 110v welder along with my 220 units...its perfect for takin on rides...very small and easy to use..and i can run it off my power inverter on my dually...as far as welding...i've never had a weld break that i've done with the 140 or 175...as long as you do certain things to obtain proper penetration you'll be fine...such as beveling materials and making multiple passes...technically, when you're welding, the weld size need only be the same size as the smallest member is thick....such as if you're welding a piece of 1/4in plate to a piece of 2in plate...the weld can be only a 1/4in bead...

i would keep the welder for a portable setup...save for awhile and get a 220v setup, the prices are coming down alot and making it easy for people on a budget to get...

if you have any welder questions or anything related to welding, feel free to contact me...ha, its my major and profession, so i should be able to help you out...

-James

cj8rckcrlr said:
i have had that same welder, and i now have a lincoln 175 110v welder along with my 220 units...its perfect for takin on rides...very small and easy to use..and i can run it off my power inverter on my dually...as far as welding...i've never had a weld break that i've done with the 140 or 175...as long as you do certain things to obtain proper penetration you'll be fine...such as beveling materials and making multiple passes...technically, when you're welding, the weld size need only be the same size as the smallest member is thick....such as if you're welding a piece of 1/4in plate to a piece of 2in plate...the weld can be only a 1/4in bead...

i would keep the welder for a portable setup...save for awhile and get a 220v setup, the prices are coming down alot and making it easy for people on a budget to get...

if you have any welder questions or anything related to welding, feel free to contact me...ha, its my major and profession, so i should be able to help you out...

-James

Thanks alot James, I WILL take you up on that offer! Thats awefully nice of you to offer. Thanks again. -B

boomhauer said:
Thanks alot James, I WILL take you up on that offer! Thats awefully nice of you to offer. Thanks again. -B
I dont weld professionally now, but did.... I too can help if James is busy, just PM one of us.

I just picked my 140 up from UPS yesterday. The plastic door hinges are broken, and one of the "O" rings is cracked on the machine end of the hose. Hopefully, I will hear back from Hobart tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out- just filled the shielding gas cylinder this past weekend, and have a spool of .023, a matching tip and a new hood. If I can stick weld decently, I hope to make out well with this.

Now, I can finally get that floor hole fixed.

it will handle every thing ( within reason ) you might need to weld and do it in style, i have the lincoln 135 and i even built a trailer with it ( some more vital parts i stick welded i.e. the hitch ) just remember to have a dedicated 20 amp circuit breaker for it

Back