• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which wheels for snow cables

JoesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, if I go to the snow and decide I need to put on snow cables, the kit I have includes 2 cables for 2 tires. Which 2 tires should I put the on? Front left and rear right?

Just a random thought, really dont think I'll ever need them but here in CA the CHP makes you cary them even with 4wd and mud/snow tires.

Thanks! :)

joe_boatwright said:
Ok, if I go to the snow and decide I need to put on snow cables, the kit I have includes 2 cables for 2 tires. Which 2 tires should I put the on? Front left and rear right?

Just a random thought, really dont think I'll ever need them but here in CA the CHP makes you cary them even with 4wd and mud/snow tires.

Thanks! :)
Rear only.

If you are running in deep snow off road you want them on the frt if you only have 1 pair .

exjay33 said:
If you are running in deep snow off road you want them on the frt if you only have 1 pair .
Yep, fronts. I used to live up above Sonora on Hwy 108, and If I remember, the CHP shouldn't require them on a 4WD until you get to the R2 or R3 level, unless your tires aren't rated for snow come to think of it. But, if you feel you need them, then use them. Maybe someone who still lives there can remind me of the R!, 2 and 3 differences again in CA.

Why cables and not chains? Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I always liked chains over cables, if I had the choice.

Cables are alot less work to put on but nothing will replace a good ice chain. You put your chains on the frt because you don't want to decend a long hill with no steering , plus they will pull you through deep stuff alot better.

I have a pair right here and they caution not to use them on the front.
They claim the front wheels increase the chance they could come off and cause loss of control when they wrap around steering components.
I do think though in deep snow they would give more traction.
I can’t read the rest of the instructions but I think they have a model made for the front.

Ah heres the reason also, don't forget a sharp turn is you have oversize tires.
clearance.jpg

Back