• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnostic checker thingy...

MOOSE16285

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can buy a diagnostic checker thingy... How much it costs and is it made just for a Jeep Cherokee? More particularly a 4.0L 4x4 Auto 1990 2DR XJ...

You mean like a scan tool? for codes?

I saw one at Wal-Mart the other day for $25...just pulls the codes and clears them.

I have an AutoXray EZ-Link...Summit lists for $262.

With college, a couple cars, wild nights and my 1st ticket... MOOSE man is tight on money but in dire need of the jeep to run to lose a vehicle! If I i go the "el cheapo" route n get the wallie world thinger, you say it only gives me the code... Well can I post the code on hear and someone here shoudl be able to help me out right? What all vehicles does this plugger work on?

MOOSE16285 said:
With college, a couple cars, wild nights and my 1st ticket... MOOSE man is tight on money but in dire need of the jeep to run to lose a vehicle! If I i go the "el cheapo" route n get the wallie world thinger, you say it only gives me the code... Well can I post the code on hear and someone here shoudl be able to help me out right? What all vehicles does this plugger work on?

IIRC it will work for OBDII ('96 and up)

You can go to Auto Zone and they will check for free.

For info on what the codes are, go here.... http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_obd_main.htm

Hold on, stop, whoa, and waitaminnit.

If it's a 1990, then there are two possibilities. The "official" transition from RENIX to OBD-I was for the 1991 model year, but there were some late 1990's that went OBD-I early...

Check around under the hood, passenger side, by the right front shock. If there's a black cover there, remove it.

You are looking for two connectors with yellow caps - remove the caps and take a quick pin count. There should be one six-pin, and one 15-pin (there won't be connectors in all the holes, but the six-pin will be a 2x3, and the 15-pin will be a 3x5.)

If you have those, then forget about a "cheap" scan tool - that's RENIX, and pre-OBD electronics. OBD-I/II code readers won't work - they don't speak the same language.

If you don't have those two connectors, then look wherever they keep the OBD-I connector - probably under the dash near your knee (but I can't swear to it - anyone with a 1991-1995 want to chime in?)

The RENIX system also does not "store" or "throw" codes like the OBD - but you can get realtime driveability data from it. However, you'll need either a DRBII scan tool, or a Snap-On MT2500 - and figure on at least $1400 for a basic kit (unless you can score one on ebay.)

Just trying to fill in the blanks...

5-90

Jeeeez...I'm sorry. The year of your Jeep never sunk in. :gag:Go with what 5-90 said. I'm going to bed now.:speepin:

Thanks 5-90 - you said it better and faster. (that's what I get talking propane paintball guns with my oldest and not posting.)

Another advantage is with RENIX you replace defective parts that test bad - not swap one part after another because the codes lead you down the dark side.

An infamous OBD II code lately has been "EVAP EMISSION PSI LOW", something that really means "Screw the gas cap until it clicks, dude," not "take to dealer and support overhead costs with diagnostic fee."

Last edited:
Damnit, I have the Renix version... As more and more time passes with this Jeep and even with all the memories, I'm really getting sick of have such an awesome 4x4 dead in the driveway... Quick, someone slap me... I might actually be considering to part way ways with my 1st vehicle... My 1st 4x4... My 1st Jeep... It's been taking up WAY too much money, time, and space... I'm really sick of being pissed off for hours after spending ALL freaking day working on it to no further advancing... Toyotas seem to be the favorite and most common 4x4s in town... Since I was a little boy, helping my dad work on his '84 XJ, I knew I wanted one. Now I got it and it's been worthless for 5 months and almost a year of great times... *sighs* I'll give it a couple more tries but I just keep getting disappointing and non-reassuring news and unsuccessful attempts at getting it to work again... Whatever, I'm outta here... - MOOSE

MOOSE16285 said:
Damnit, I have the Renix version... As more and more time passes with this Jeep and even with all the memories, I'm really getting sick of have such an awesome 4x4 dead in the driveway... Quick, someone slap me... I might actually be considering to part way ways with my 1st vehicle... My 1st 4x4... My 1st Jeep... It's been taking up WAY too much money, time, and space... I'm really sick of being pissed off for hours after spending ALL freaking day working on it to no further advancing... Toyotas seem to be the favorite and most common 4x4s in town... Since I was a little boy, helping my dad work on his '84 XJ, I knew I wanted one. Now I got it and it's been worthless for 5 months and almost a year of great times... *sighs* I'll give it a couple more tries but I just keep getting disappointing and non-reassuring news and unsuccessful attempts at getting it to work again... Whatever, I'm outta here... - MOOSE

If you're really that pissed off with the Renix system, why not just find a 91 or newer parts Jeep and swap the engine and harness from the fusebox forward? If you like the Jeep and have memories with it you might as well try to keep it around. If you swap the newer electroinics in you'll have all the diagnostic hook ups for future problems that may arise. That may be what I end up doing when mine goes kaput, but just my opinion.

I dont much about Jeep electricals but am okay with the mechanical part(engine)... Provided that info, how hard of a project am I looking at with that? My buddy bought an 88 XJ with a 95 4.0L... Is it worth the moeny and time? More importantly for me, how hard it the harness thing to replace? I've swapped engines of the same midelk and year before with easy... Basicly unplug everything, tear it down remove and than do the opposite. Sounds like it'd be alot of fun to do actually... Get a 91-96 engine and harness and replace it... Anyone got any good posts on this?

Yeah, like that.

But what some of us want is a precise description of 1) what's not working 2) what you've done, because we're really diagnostic groupies - we don't like working on them, but we do like knowing how to fix them.

Short case in point - '90 Caravan 2.5 - cranks but won't quite start, rapidly throttling keeps it kinda running but it dies. Cause: Bad MAP Sensor; test: unhook the wire and start without it, if it will run rough, bad MAP. If not, keep looking.

I learned that before internet by asking my used car dealer I bought it from. Now I log on here for the best XJ help, and avoid replacing the low pressure in tank fuel pump when I didn't need to, like on the Caravan (but not the second time!)

So if you can, we'd like to help.

The RENIX system isn't bad, just different.

Join the "strokers" group (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers) and find the RENIX FI manual in the "files" section - that's most of what you'll need to know, as far as specifics.

Take some time to learn basic automotive electrical troubleshooting (if you haven't done so already,) and you'll find that, unlike OBD-I/II systems (where you rely upon codes,) you'll have a more "targetted" approach to troubleshooting and repair, which means you'll spend less money.

I also find that RENIX systems are also more durable than most OBD systems, in my experience.

Anyhow, since you don't have codes to deal with, you don't have the "check engine" light, either.

So, what sort of problem are you having? I think you've posted before on this, but you might need to start a new thread, and detail both your problem, your symptoms, and your troubleshooting and repair efforts...

5-90

Hey,

Can't you just use the Ign Key Sequence to get the MIL Light to flash the codes?

So for these older XJ's (mine's an '88) do I really need to spend money on a diagnostic test meter or will the above suffice in getting any codes I need?

Thx, Phil

If you READ the post, you would se that the renix (87 - 90) DOES NOT THROW CODES!!!!!!!

You need a scan tool to see real time data, thats it.

5-90 said:
Join the "strokers" group (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers) and find the RENIX FI manual in the "files" section - that's most of what you'll need to know, as far as specifics.
Or, go to pirate4x4 at http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/Jeep_Renix_Fuel_Injection_manual.pdf.

A lot of problems on the Renix engine can be diagnosed with a DMM, analog VoltMeter

Check the operation of critical sensors:
1) CPS with analog VM
2) MAP, voltage test - DMM
3) CTS, resistance test
4) TPS, voltage test - DMM
5) CamPS, analog VM

Since your Jeep was under water, you need to pay special attention to check for sensor readings not only at the connector, but also at the ECU pins.

Last edited:
DIGITRUCK said:
Hey,

Can't you just use the Ign Key Sequence to get the MIL Light to flash the codes?

So for these older XJ's (mine's an '88) do I really need to spend money on a diagnostic test meter or will the above suffice in getting any codes I need?

Thx, Phil
No you need a very hard to find scanner for a renix system, about $1500 for every thing.

There's also the fact that the RENIX system doesn't have a MIL/CEL - so you can cycle the key all you want without getting anything.

I have to keep explaining the fact that I don't have a CEL/MIL to the smog guys out here - you'd think they'd know after a while...

5-90

NO the key thing does not work on Renix

Back