• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights wont light up after stereo install

psteffy

NAXJA Forum User
I searched already but couldnt find my answer. :(

I know the problem is with the orange wire that goes to the stock stereo (illumination wire). I installed a new stereo yesterday and since then, the lights havent worked on my dash. I checked the fuse for the dash lights, and its fine. What should I do with the orange wire? Theres nowhere to plug it into my new stereo.

What year Jeep? Don't know for sure but I think the later models might have a "squealer" that powers high voltage EL or flourescent dash lighting (Chrysler went flourescent early on in a lot of other models). On those, the orange wire going to the radio would probably be a dimmer signal from the headlight switch, and there may or may not be a "correct" way to connect that to your radio, or it may need to see something else, like 12V or a ground, in order for the dash lights to work.

There are tons of stereo installation forums that contain a lot of info. But use care, they seem to be mostly urban tuner punks and the links found thereon have a lot of trojans & hijackers.

Dave in Eugene said:
What year Jeep? Don't know for sure but I think the later models might have a "squealer" that powers high voltage EL or flourescent dash lighting (Chrysler went flourescent early on in a lot of other models). On those, the orange wire going to the radio would probably be a dimmer signal from the headlight switch, and there may or may not be a "correct" way to connect that to your radio, or it may need to see something else, like 12V or a ground, in order for the dash lights to work.

There are tons of stereo installation forums that contain a lot of info. But use care, they seem to be mostly urban tuner punks and the links found thereon have a lot of trojans & hijackers.

And thats my concern, the orange wire. I know it was used to control the lights on the radio and subsequently the dash. What forum would you suggest?

you have no dash lights at all? did you check your fuse by chance?you checked already sorry.

have you tried to connect the yellow and orange wires together? the lights will stay on all the time on your radio though? not sure if this will help your situation out or not, but it might help.

Last edited:
bshaw said:
you have no dash lights at all? did you check your fuse by chance?you checked already sorry.

have you tried to connect the yellow and orange wires together? the lights will stay on all the time on your radio though? not sure if this will help your situation out or not, but it might help.
Out of these wires, the bold are the ones I didnt use (currently taped up)

Constant 12V+ Pink/Yellow
Switched 12V+ Red/White
Ground Black
Illumination Orange/Brown
Dimmer Black/Light Blue

Front Speakers
Left Front (+) Dark Green
Left Front (-) Brown/Red
Right Front (+) Purple
Right Front (-) Dark Blue/Red
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) Brown/Yellow
Left Rear (-) Brown/Light Blue
Right Rear (+) Dark Blue/White
Right Rear (-) Dark Blue/Orange

Youre suggesting I try these two together? Just clarifying...

psteffy said:
Youre suggesting I try these two together? Just clarifying...
first, are you using a aftermarket wiring harness to plug into your factory wires? if yes, did you already hook it up to your new radio "wires", and whats the wire (red=?, orange=?,etc....) layout?

Last edited:
bshaw said:
first, are you using a aftermarket wiring harness to plug into your factory wires? if yes, did you already hook it up to your new radio "wires", and whats the wire (red=?, orange=?,etc....) layout?
No, didnt use a harness. All the wires for the new stereo were used.

bshaw said:
you spliced into your factory wires then? you cut the factory harness off then also?

yes I am
Illumination Orange/Brown AND Dimmer Black/Light Blue together>>>>(plug into)>>>>> Orange
Pardon my ignorance (which, I really am :( ), but I only have two wires left... both from the car's side of the problem.... Illumination and Dimmer. I should just twist them together, solder, and tape off?

psteffy said:
I searched already but couldnt find my answer. :(

I know the problem is with the orange wire that goes to the stock stereo (illumination wire). I installed a new stereo yesterday and since then, the lights havent worked on my dash. I checked the fuse for the dash lights, and its fine. What should I do with the orange wire? Theres nowhere to plug it into my new stereo.

Also check the park/taillights to see if they work. IIRC the dash lights are powered from that circuit. I have to ask this since it hasn't been mentioned, but is the dashlight dimmer turned all the way up? :doh: :)

Ok here lets see if I can trace this down for you.

We'll start from the radio, and go back to the battery.
Headlamp switch output is BK/YL 18AWG to the dimmer/headlight switch then TN/BK 18AWG to the PDC fuse #19 20A.

Fused Panel lamp dimmer switch signal OR 20AWG to connector 201 in the lower center of the insterment pannel natural in color through a splice near the said connector to the fuse box ( behind right hand kickpanel) fuse #6 5A then TN 20AWG to the dimmer/headlamp switch from there it draws power from the TN/BK 18AWG wire that feed the dimmer/headlamp switch.

Sence you said you have no insterment lights I would look at fuse #6 in the fuse box then splice by the connector behind the lower center of the dash. Also If you have a meter the way I read it there shouldn't be any power to the hot side of the fuse when the switch is in the off position. You could check that to see if the switch is bad. Switch off no power eather side of fuse #6, switch on power to the hot side of fuse #6.

EDIT this is all for the four speaker system. If you have the six speaker Infinty system there a few changes. Let me know I can post it.

Last edited:
MJmk said:
Also check the park/taillights to see if they work. IIRC the dash lights are powered from that circuit. I have to ask this since it hasn't been mentioned, but is the dashlight dimmer turned all the way up? :doh: :)
park and taillights work just fine.... and yes, the dashlight dimmer is all the way up :)

scoobyxj said:
Ok here lets see if I can trace this down for you.

We'll start from the radio, and go back to the battery.
Headlamp switch output is BK/YL 18AWG to the dimmer/headlight switch then TN/BK 18AWG to the PDC fuse #19 20A.

Fused Panel lamp dimmer switch signal OR 20AWG to connector 201 in the lower center of the insterment pannel natural in color through a splice near the said connector to the fuse box ( behind right hand kickpanel) fuse #6 5A then TN 20AWG to the dimmer/headlamp switch from there it draws power from the TN/BK 18AWG wire that feed the dimmer/headlamp switch.

Sence you said you have no insterment lights I would look at fuse #6 in the fuse box then splice by the connector behind the lower center of the dash. Also If you have a meter the way I read it there shouldn't be any power to the hot side of the fuse when the switch is in the off position. You could check that to see if the switch is bad. Switch off no power eather side of fuse #6, switch on power to the hot side of fuse #6.

EDIT this is all for the four speaker system. If you have the six speaker Infinty system there a few changes. Let me know I can post it.
:eek:

ok, thats a bit hard to understand, but i'm going to print it and go over it with my brother (who is much more mechanically inclined)...

Thanks

Back