• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

regearing?

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
All you guys w/ 32's, is it necessary to re-gear?? I'm talkin for a DD w/ 4" lift and stock gears and axles...(1994 D30 and D35)

P.s 32x11.5 will fit on a stock XJ sport wheel?

JeepXJ93 said:
All you guys w/ 32's, is it necessary to re-gear?? I'm talkin for a DD w/ 4" lift and stock gears and axles...(1994 D30 and D35)

P.s 32x11.5 will fit on a stock XJ sport wheel?
I really don't want to sound like a jerk here, but you have 450+ posts and you're posting this kind of question? It's been covered before- search.

all i can find are answers from guys who have, and guys who want to, cant actually find a straight answer saying it is or isnt safe to keep it stock. I know it can be done, b/c my buddy has a stock TJ w/ 32's. Sorry.

don't worry bout the search police

it is recommended to re-gear however not necessary. Your acceleration will be greatly decreased and freeway driving will suck because you will have a hard time maintaining sped and chances are you will be downshifting a lot to keep up your speed unless you do like 90mph. i run 31's and will be re gearing just because its annoying when i go 65 i have a hard time keeping it there then it downshifts and back up to 65 back and forth.

funvtec said:
don't worry bout the search police

it is recommended to re-gear however not necessary. Your acceleration will be greatly decreased and freeway driving will suck because you will have a hard time maintaining sped and chances are you will be downshifting a lot to keep up your speed unless you do like 90mph. i run 31's and will be re gearing just because its annoying when i go 65 i have a hard time keeping it there then it downshifts and back up to 65 back and forth.
All that has been covered before, nearly word for word. That's why I said search.

Starscream918 said:
All that has been covered before, nearly word for word. That's why I said search.

i know it has but i didn't break my back typing it

not to mention i do alot of searching on here and sometime i miss what i'm looking for or didn't enter the right phrase or something. so i usually just ask and if i get flamed i get flamed. and I have. but it seems like people are becomeing (for lack of a better word) scared to ask because everyone jumps on them to search. it really isn't that much trouble to just answer the question, i don't mind

I ran 32's for a while, and plenty of folks run stock gears on tires even bigger that that, but that doesn't make it the best option. Like what was said previously, highway driving sucks big time and the acceleration was lame. Even on flat ground with the slighest bit of head wind it would dance between 3rd and 4th trying to go 65-70 MPH. I went to 4.56 and loved it.

Greg

i agree with montana... stock gears are cool until you get on some 33s or bigger... id just do it when you want to swap in a nother axle, like and 8.8 lots have 4.10s and LS, so you junkyard it and then just buy teh front gears and your done. cheaper better solution.

32x11.5s will fit on stock wheels, but may rub, i reccomend some steelies in the 4.25-3.75" BS range.

Ok sorry to hijack but I would like to comment on the searching argument. I agree that there are some things that get discussed a lot on here. But in my opinion that is a good thing because maybe some new information will get thrown into the discussion that wasn't brought up last time it was discussed. Also some other people might get in on the discussion that missed out before. I know that you can still post on an old thread and get into the discussion that way but then someone will complain about sombody bringing back a thread that was a few months old. So if you want to discuss a topic that has been discussed many times before you have two choices; start a new thread and get flamed for not searching or search and post your comments on an old thread and get flamed for bringing back into circulation. Also when I visit this forum I am not usually looking for specific information, I am an impulse reader. That means when I see a thread that looks interesting I read it. If the person who started that thread had searched and found all the info they needed and not started a new thread then I (and others like me) would have missed out on that info because I wouldn't have searched for it since I wasn't specifically looking for it. Also it gets annoying when I see a thread that I think might be interesting and when I read it all I see is everyone telling the guy to search. If everyone started searching like most people want them to then eventually this won't be a forum anymore, it will be NAXJA archives. After everything has been discussed no one will have any reason to post new threads. They will just search and find everything they need. I mean if you don't wan't to answer someone's question because you already have a thousand times before then don't answer it, no one is making you. If anyone agrees or disagrees please give some feedback.

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Also it gets annoying when I see a thread that I think might be interesting and when I read it all I see is everyone telling the guy to search. If everyone started searching like most people want them to then eventually this won't be a forum anymore, it will be NAXJA archives. After everything has been discussed no one will have any reason to post new threads. They will just search and find everything they need. I mean if you don't wan't to answer someone's question because you already have a thousand times before then don't answer it, no one is making you. If anyone agrees or disagrees please give some feedback.

TOTALLY AGREE!!
X2
X3
X4

I run 33x12.50 (bald) X-Terrains that measure exactly 32". I just got 4.56s in and YES its worth it.

I ran 31's on 3:55 then
33's then
35's

I dorve that jeep prolly 30,000 miles on stock gears

now I have 33's and
4:88

I just couldnt justify spending $1000 on re gearing
when I thought of all the upgrades I could do to the rest of the jeep

my thoughts are

I wouldnt spend my money on regearing anything but a 8.8 or better

ps

I never did pay the $1000
I bought the tools little by little and learned how to do it myself

JeepXJ93 said:
all i can find are answers from guys who have, and guys who want to, cant actually find a straight answer saying it is or isnt safe to keep it stock. I know it can be done, b/c my buddy has a stock TJ w/ 32's. Sorry.

OK if your buddy has a stock TJ with 32's there's your comparison: drive it see what it feels like and make your decision.
Now on the other hand: your fuel economy with 32's and stock gears is going to be worse then if you regeared. Your power will suck. You will be more prone to break things with stock gears when going off pavement (more stupid pedal will be needed which leads to more chances to break things).
So the big question is as to what is your objective: are you doing it so it's useable, practical or so that it looks pretty?

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Ok sorry to hijack but I would like to comment on the searching argument. I agree that there are some things that get discussed a lot on here. But in my opinion that is a good thing because maybe some new information will get thrown into the discussion that wasn't brought up last time it was discussed. Also some other people might get in on the discussion that missed out before. I know that you can still post on an old thread and get into the discussion that way but then someone will complain about sombody bringing back a thread that was a few months old. So if you want to discuss a topic that has been discussed many times before you have two choices; start a new thread and get flamed for not searching or search and post your comments on an old thread and get flamed for bringing back into circulation. Also when I visit this forum I am not usually looking for specific information, I am an impulse reader. That means when I see a thread that looks interesting I read it. If the person who started that thread had searched and found all the info they needed and not started a new thread then I (and others like me) would have missed out on that info because I wouldn't have searched for it since I wasn't specifically looking for it. Also it gets annoying when I see a thread that I think might be interesting and when I read it all I see is everyone telling the guy to search. If everyone started searching like most people want them to then eventually this won't be a forum anymore, it will be NAXJA archives. After everything has been discussed no one will have any reason to post new threads. They will just search and find everything they need. I mean if you don't wan't to answer someone's question because you already have a thousand times before then don't answer it, no one is making you. If anyone agrees or disagrees please give some feedback.

ok you got me all confused and lost with your post....
1. if someone is looking for an answer then by all means they should ask a question, but if the question asked is two lines above a similar question doesn't that make you wonder? There is also this nifty button that says something like "has this been asked before" when you submit a new post
2. if a person has searched and wants to ask the question to get further clarification how about they post a question in a matter that shows that? Prefacing it with "I've searched and I still want to ask" doesn't carry as much weight in my opinion as "I've search and found this and have a question about that". The former makes me think that they didn't search and all they want to do is make it sound as though they've searched.
3. the forums have a wealth of info in them and they are visited by couple groups of people in my eyes:
- true seekers of knowledge
- the lazy ones
- those who are set on doing something and all they want is someone to tell them that they are right even if they aren't
- those who hijack other's posts and cause trouble ;)

Thanks for the responses....and opinions on "searching".......if i can get my $$$ back from town fair tire iin the 30 day garantee period i think i'm gonna spring for 31x10.5 Trxus MT's. Anyone object for any reason? Cant find any bad comments in a SEARCH....but thought maybe over time and mileage some might have reason to change thier minds. LOL thanks again all.

Back