• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

inner fender lip

jkgaddis

NAXJA Forum User
ok so ive read a bunch of write ups and searched every where. today i started trimming. im running 4.5re on 33x12.50 tsl's with 3.75 bs. so far i ripped out the fender liner and the flares. i cut the half inch wide lip that runs the edge of the fender. i cut the rear part of the fender well so that i wouldnt rub when turning. my question is what do you do with the lip thing that runs the length of the fender on the inside. it looks like there are pinch weld in there so i dont want to cut it out. it seriously looks like it will eat the tires alive when stuffed. ill try to post pics if anyone doesnt know what im talking about.
thanks for any replys.

if its on the front like i think your talking about then take a shop sledge or a good size hammer and beat it flat with the rest of the inner fender.

DSC03330.jpg

If I were to do it again, I would cut slits every 5" or so. This will help it fold over without any extra wrinkles.

[QUNTE=ä30shun]
DSC03330.jpg

If I wert(to do it again, I would cut sl¨us every 5" or so. This will help it fold over without any extra wrinkles.[/QUOTE]
Thàus what I did. I did two cuts horizontaly at the biggest parts. Worked fine, and no ill effects that I can tell.

first off id like to thank eveyrone for their help. tomorrow morning, bright and early, im going in to the auto hobby shop to slam that bastard up into place so it doesnt detroy my pretty tires.

however, badcop, show me in that thread once where they mention the lip im speaking of. they dont. they refer to a lip in the rear of the fender well where as i am refering to a lip that runs the entire length of the fender well. i search very hard before i ever post questions so i dont appreciate being called a liar. and by search im not just talking about naxja. im talking about pirate, cherokee america, jeepin, rocklizard, opiebennett, among many others.

while im on the subject. i dont get whats up in these forums. like if someone asks something and you dont want to answer it because it has already been asked or because you dont feel that they've search long enough or because you are a worthless piece of poo, then dont answer it. your snide comments dont help anyone here.

thank you again to those who helped. ill post pics when im done.

Yes, please post pics as I was reading BC's write-up and wondering the same thing about the lip. I have to trim mine as soon as I get the axles back in place.

M

Martinida said:
Yes, please post pics as I was reading BC's write-up and wondering the same thing about the lip. I have to trim mine as soon as I get the axles back in place.

M

No don't TRIM this lip off. Just bend it back.

i think he was talking about his fenders in general. if you are talking about the lip HELL NO! i took a cutoff wheel and cut slits where it looked like it needed it and pounded those fuckers up. im still not done though so no pics yet.

d10shun said:
No don't TRIM this lip off. Just bend it back.

It sucks slashing tires that thing with a 4.5" lift or smaller, I killed a 33"BFG A/T when before I had my 6.5" Now I dont have to wory.

Starboard M said:
Thats what I did. I did two cuts horizontaly at the biggest parts. Worked fine, and no ill effects that I can tell.
With a little patience this lip will stretch so that no slits are needed. IMHO the slits are just one more area to catch funk. The lip will lay down completely flat. After that I sealed the edge with a generous bead of body panel sealant before spraying with undercoat.
The relief slits cut on the fender itself do not have to go completely to the fold. If you hold them back ~1/4" you can roll and stretch the sheet metal as you fold it under. This will provide a smooth, clean edge everywhere you can see or feel. Complete the inside of the fold with a pointed hammer, this will cause the folded material to lay down w/o deforming the fender. Seal this up with a heavy bead (wiped) of body sealant as well before spraying with undercoat. Is it easy? Not a chance! Is it worth the extra effort? That depends on whether or not you're a hack, or don't mind be confused with one.;) The lip on my rear wheal wells is as clean as if the were stamped that way at the factory. But, it is a lot of work. I will be rolling the edge on the front trimming as well forming a lip to match the rear. The delay has been that my arm still remembers doing the back.

:dunno:

Last edited:
Back