• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuild vs. new motor

red91xj

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know if this is the right section for this, if not one of the mods can move it.

I wondering if it would be better to get ANOTHER rebuilt 4.0 or just break down and buy a new 4.0. I am on my second rebuilt right now and it's starting to take a dump on me (just like the last one). Smoking, leaking oil from every concievable place, running like hell. I'm tired of getting crappy rebuilts. I mean the original motor lasted 200000 before it went... Anyone know of where to get a good one that won't take a dump after 10,000 miles? How much should a new 4.0 cost?

tia

As far as I know, nobody sells a new 4.0L anymore, only rebuilts.

Why dont you build a reliable stroker with your old one and get it ready to go for when your's blows. Dr Dyno has good write ups on doing it. I'm willing to bet you could build your own reliable stroker, 4.6 4.7, for less including all the maching and everything.

Heres the website, http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

Last edited:
thanks for the info. i've only ever rebuilt an old VW motor... maybe i should move on to bigger and better things eh?

Do the rebuild yourself, or have it done by a machine shop that comes well recommended.

VW's are really easy rebuild. But the I6 is also a very good engine to learn on.

Michael

Who the heck is doing rebuilds that only last 10,000 miles? Jasper engines come with a minimum of a 3 year/75,000 mile transferrable warranty. They are the rebuilders that most reliable shops use. You can't get good for cheap. The online price is $2165 but I don't think you can work with them directly. They only deal with repair shops so I don't know if the $2165 is the installed total price or the price plus remove/replace and shipping. If the rest of your Jeep is in good shape and you don't have the time and/or inclination to do it yourself, it's a better option than what you've been doing. Good Luck

http://www.jasperengines.com/gas-engines.htm

Last edited:
red91xj said:
I Anyone know of where to get a good one that won't take a dump after 10,000 miles? How much should a new 4.0 cost?

tia

Dude,, if this is the second rebuild you have had done, and you are getting only 10K, number 1, how are you breaking in the engine?, or number 2, shoulda fired the rebuilder after the first one if they did not give you more than 10K warranty(most do). Here in Ut. I have gotten quotes from several shops, and if I pull and replace the motor, it's around 1100 for the rebuild. But if you have rebuilt a motor before, I think I would do this one..

pick up a used lower mileage 4.0 try carpart.com one with 50-100k will still get you 100k+ miles and cost less than any of the other methods .

For example with a 30 second search

Engine
Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0,JIM,CK MOUNT ,RAN GOOD
55,000 0G5318 $625 Novak Auto Parts Inc. USA-PA(New-Brighton) E-mail 1-800-452-4343 818

Where is it leaking? Maybe your rebuilds are fine and you are getting crappy install jobs.
My last rebuild I had installed (and the last one I'll ever pay someone else to do)
every single external gasket ended up leaking. I'd like to beat the guy senseless with a torque wrench.
That motor is over 200k on the rebuild now..

The builder sounds like a HACK. Buy a used low mileage engine,and swap...be through if you can see the engine before you purchase,check under the oil cap for signs of you know what,and also glance at what filter is on the engine these two easy things can tell you alot about whether you should buy or pass.

Back