• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ sometimes jumps out of 4lo under load.

pm1

NAXJA Forum User
The last couple of time going out, I have put the Tcase in 4lo, and while going up articlulating hills, it violently jumps out. Then getting it back in is not pretty either. After a couple of these, it stays in 4lo all day no problem. Any ideas?

* Low t-case fluid

* Tires not rotated properly. - The circumference of the front tires are different from the rear tires which caused undue wear on the t-case.

* Binding. This could be in the t-case, front diff, drive or axle shaft joints, etc.

Kejtar said:
other possible problems:
1. bad engine or tranny mounts
2. bad bushings on the tcase linkage
3. misadjusted tcase linkage

I saw your Avatar and thought:

So, uh, are you going to do a write up about when the whole rear end "violently jumps out?" :laugh3:

I had the same problem also. Traced it down to slop in the linkage. Got new bushings and link arm and problem continued. I made a new arm that is about 3/16" longer. Installed that and my problem has gone away.

I'm presuming that assembly line tolerances aren't always that good and all of my components "just" happend to be on the short side of the tolerance scale.

Also check around the lever for 4x4, I pulled the dust cover off my 98 and found a lot of change down there making it hard to get the lever all the way back into 4lo.

I had the same problem. I replaced the trans mount, still happened. Changed the fluid, no change. Replaced the motor mounts, a little better. All the mounts were bad anyways(200k). Adjusted the linkage, lots better. I know I still need bushings tho. Also there is a detent in the Tcase that holds it in the gears, that can also wear out. I have the AX15, and being a manual, it seems to put more of a load on drivetrain parts than an auto, especially on and off the skinny pedal.

Mine does this also (01, NP-231) Its a linkage issue. There is also the ball detent inside the T-case that has a little to do with it. As you said, after the tcase warms up it stays in 4 low. I end up looking like a helicopter pilot with one hand on the t-case lever till it locks in.

Back