• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear suspenion, full-traction leafs and fox

JEEPSPEEDRCR

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2001 xj w/ the full-traction 6in long arm system w/ 2.0 fox each corner. The rear leafs came w/ extended bumpstop plates which i have installed. The driver side rear shock is extended far enough to cover the stroke of the suspension. The right side shock piston is 2in further into the stroke so the shock is too long overalll and doesn't have enough piston exposed to cover the stroke. What do i do, do i get one 10in travel shock for the right side? Both shocks are 11in travel fox 2.0 emulsions.
thanks in advance.

most of that makes sense, i might just be retarded, but
The right side shock piston is 2in further into the stroke
doesnt, ive done alot with shock setups, and alot with cherokees, ive never needed to have shorter shock on one side, maybe a pic or a drawing would help me out

on the right side the shock sits 2in further into the stroke than the left side. This is only a problem becase the shock would bottom out before the bump stop contacts the axle. The left side has 8.5in of shaft exposed and the right only has 6.5in of shaft exposed. The measurment from bump stop to spring plate bump is 8in

JEEPSPEEDRCR said:
The left side has 8.5in of shaft exposed and the right only has 6.5in of shaft exposed. The measurment from bump stop to spring plate bump is 8in
Remember that the shock is mounted further in on the axle housing than are the tires. 1" of tire movement will not always yield 1" at the shocks. The shock mounts travel a larger radius than does the shock mount. Also, the shocks are not mounted perpendicular to the axle on both planes.
Go out and find a place to flex the rear suspension fully on both sides to get accurate measurements. If you leave the front sway bars hooked up it will require a smaller ramp.

after i ran it in the desert over new years i could see the place where the rubber on the bottom of shaft was contacting the body of the shock. I will try to get better measurments by flexing.

the rear leafs look like they have rotated the axle forward to make a better pinion angle, i might be wrong but could this be why the shock mount of the front of the axle is higher than the left side?

ahhh, yes it could be, but but youd have to bring the pinion up like 30+* to make that much of a difference, im at 7" of lift (short driveline, long driveshaft) and only up 4*

id really like to see some pics to fully understand whats going on, also, measure from the axle tube, to the bottom of the frame rail, on both sides

JEEPSPEEDRCR said:
the rear leafs look like they have rotated the axle forward to make a better pinion angle, i might be wrong but could this be why the shock mount of the front of the axle is higher than the left side?

Does your cherokee sit fairly level? If so, measure from the ground to the center of your lower shock mount on both sides. This will help you decide if you need to rotate your mounts or not. How did you modify your mounts to fit the fox shocks? I used a shock hoop for the top mount and had to do new mounts for the axle. With this setup I can barely fit 10" foxes without limiting all of my up travel. I like to have as much up travel as possible so I can valve the shocks as soft as I want.

tealcherokee said:
ahhh, yes it could be, but but youd have to bring the pinion up like 30+* to make that much of a difference, im at 7" of lift (short driveline, long driveshaft) and only up 4*

id really like to see some pics to fully understand whats going on, also, measure from the axle tube, to the bottom of the frame rail, on both sides

I just measured from the shock mount on the axle to the bottom of the unibody on both sides.
The left side was 18.75in and the right side was 17.5in. So there is a difference and this means that the axle is rotated im guessing for pinion angle.

how about making new shock mounts that account for the difference. if the difference is caused by pinion angle and the pinion angle is good then make new mounts. if the problem is caused by something other than the pinion angle think about fixing the prob first.

I think that my options seem to be either to buy a shorter compressed length shock for the right side, or build new mounts, i was thinking of having a mount built onto of the spring plate and running the shock into the rear cargo area on a hoop. This would resolve the problem and both shocks would sit in the same part of the stroke when on level ground. Has anyone done this and have any pics?
thanks

Back