• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any one?

lyle ide

NAXJA Forum User
please... i need help trying to figure out what the klunking noise is when i apply the brakes,it does not pull to one side or the other. when i soaked down the suspension with sillicone it did not klunk????????? brakes? suspension? driveline? i soon need to get inspected and do not have the extra cash to just throw to them. and bythe way it is a 93 xj country. please help.

Front or rear? Can you feel anything? Have you checked any of the suspension components? The bolts? What have you done besides soaking the suspension?

chris

Yeah...we need more information. Trying to diagnose stuff online is difficult enough. Do you just hear a noise or do you also feel something along with it? Does it do it at high speeds as well as low speeds? Can you go to a parking lot and walk next to it while someone else drives slowly and see if you can better hear where it's coming from while outside the vehicle?

i only hear and feel the noise when i am comming to a stop, i also put it in nuetral for a while and still the same thing, the wierd thing is it only started to do this after i had new tires put on, i thought maybe they over torqued the lug nuts to much so which they had way over tight, could of that bent the rotors or drums? the slower i go when on the brakes the louder the klunking,i have 148000 miles on the jeep so i didn't know if the bushings all around are shot? also have coil over shocks in the rear, i can't see any thing loose. don't know about the engine mounts or trans. mount could that do it? but why only after the new tires?

OK...when you come to a stop does it clunk once or is multiple times? Always the same?

New tires may be just convenient timing ya know? Might have nothing to do with them at all. Dude...you're gonna have to get under the thing and do some investigating. Don't "look" to see if sh!ts tight...get a big prybar and start trying to move stuff. I'd first try and narrow it down to front or back...left or right. I doubt if it was caused by over-torquing wheels. All those tire places and probably even your neighborhood mechanic hit the lugs with an air gun. I've never seen anyone bust out a torque wrench at Dobbs or Tire America when re-installing wheels.

I was going to say it was your slip yoke on the rear driveshaft. I'm sure you've never lubed it. My wifes 01 with 40,000 miles started that klunking crap and that's what it was. That will present itself when coming to a stop and/or taking off and you will feel it more so than hearing it. It's an easy fix that'll take 20 minutes. However, both mine, hers, and others that I've experienced were one klunk/bind at stop and another at take off...not multiple.

Lower control arm bushings are another possibility. $9 apiece at the dealer last time I had to do them; you'll need four.

My track bar bushing was quite worn, made the same noise. I had a loose caliper that was making a clunking noise also. A loose shock mount will do the same thing.

Time to crawl under it and start looking for rubbed areas. This will give you an idea where to concentrate. A large pry bar helps when looking for that ever elusive noise.

Lots of helpful information here, but you gotta do your part too. More info to start with helps out. Getting a bit dirty looking for possible sources is another way. When you have exhausted those, ask again and let everyone know what you have done and found.

I don't mean to sound like a sh!t, but diagnosing over the internet is just as bad as doing it over the phone when I worked in a shop.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

chris

I used to get a clunk on my 87 MJ when braking, and when going from forward to reverse. The bushings on the lower control arms were worn out. Mine had fewer miles then than yours has now.

lyle ide said:
all you guy's are great!

And dog gonnit...people like me. This is only part of my morning mantra that I chant while grooming myself. :wierd:

just incase somebody else has the klunking problem, check your rear drums if they are worn out of measurement, mine was 9" but they looked great however they where so many millimeters past 9".just got inspected today and thats the one thing that i did'nt measure down to that small of a difference out new drums on and wala, no more klunking.hell of a thing i put new bushings on and busted a few craftsman tools just to make sure every thing was tight, i broke the tools getting the suspension loose to put in the bushings, just wanted to give you all a heads up... lyle

Back