• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld or replace manifold

xtrememtbiker85

NAXJA Forum User
i have to replace the exhaust manifold on my g/f's 97modified tj. we are doing a complete exhaust at the same time but no header. her maifold is cracked and a replacement is $188 with the flex joints. a local shop will weld the cracked manifold for $60 and says he does the 4.0ho Maifold all the tiem and has never had anyone come back. the one he was working on when i cam in was the same replacement manifold i would be buying with the flex joints. alot of local people and shops recommend this guy for his fantastic exhaust work and the mach 1 in the garage helps me feel more confident. he can get the manifold welded and ready to install in 1 hour and says if i have problems in the future to come back and he will check it out.

weld and save or replace and chance it?

i say weld but i need opinions.

I would go with a new manifold. The stock ones just keep breaking in new spots once they start. I welded mine and ended up replaceing it about 20,000 miles latter after it cracked again. I hate doing a job twice, so I usually will spend the extra money the first time if at all possible. Good Luck

Woody

PS: Why no header? Just curious.

My research tells me that you should be able to get away with a decent weld job for a couple/three years (of course it depends on where the crack is and how well you can get to it).

Personally I am cheap, I have welded mine (am in the process of putting it on) and am comfortable with that since I am doing the work and it is a trail only rig (I will replace it with a banks when I do my stroker rebuild).

I would not spend nearly $200 dollars on a replacement, I would prefer to spend the little more for a decent upgrade like a borla, banks, edelbrock, etc. At least this way you get a lifetime guarantee.

Just my .02

I am going to get it welded. We cannot get a header b/c of finances, tehy are just too expensive right now. The crack is prettey easily accessible to weld and if I get three years out of it great and then we will get a header. I will do the same to my xj if it cracks (knock on wood).

thanks.

PS: I am cheap too. I thought $188 was alot for a stock maifold and that was the best price i could get and it was from Advanced Auto Parts.

EBAY EBAY EBAY You can get them for aroudn $70 shipped most of the time, $100 max if you can find the cheaper $70 versions!

Brand new too, not used.

Back