• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO2 and air tools

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Any issues with using HP CO2 with air tools as long as you throttle down the pressure? Perhaps a filter between? Want to use my 1/2 hammer for pulling lugs if necessary as well as refilling tires of course.

Who has homemade CO2's? $350 for a ready made doesn't sound too bad considering putting a system together could get spensive in a hurry too me thinks.

Comments, ideas, sources??

put mine together for about 130 bux... I still have some cylinders and brackets around. All ya need is a regulator.

I've used air tools a few times and had no problems.. Just a few drops of MArvel mystery oil down the fitting before and let it go.

I bought mine from my-xj-addiction aka Wyn Air

It cost me about $100
CO2 Setup thread

Here's the tank after I painted it.
Got the regulator today from 4X4 Rockshop and put it all together
The hose is a $20 Walmart special with the accessories

tankdone.JPG
img

Go to your local welding supply place, they can get you a 15-20# tank for about 80-100, then all you need is a regulator. If you get a tank from the local welder supply store they will be able to exchange it for a full one when you run out for about $15. If you use an aluminum tank they ussually require you to leave the tank overnight for filling.

I have used mine with airtools many times.

From what I understand, when using CO2 you need a hose made from a different material because of the extremely low temps of CO2. Wal Mart hoses break under those conditions so be careful. My Power tank came with a special coil hose that is much softer and pliable than the typical coil hose.

ALSO... I found out real quick that it's easier to get a crappy old tank and just trade when you take it in. If you have to wait for the refill, it can sometimes take a while. I had a nice tank, but I was in a real rush one day so I traded. The tank isn't shiney like the old one, but it doesn't make a bit of difference to the tires.

Now, I take it in, pay my 12 bucks, and get a full tank in minutes.

FYI you need to keep your airtools oiled more so with CO2. mostly because of all the moisture associated with CO2. If your running something that has a high CFM demand like most air tools. youll want to watch what you touch. That regulator gets cold quick and its easy to stick your hand to the regulator or tank... i only use my CO2 when I really need it like changing a tire or something with my big impact gun. thats it.

DSC03284.jpg

$140ish total. Ebay regulator, soda company bottle, ratchet straps and fire extinguisher bracket. I am definately going with the coil style hose too. I run air tools no problem. Just keep them oiled...

d10shun
$140ish total. Ebay regulator, soda company bottle, ratchet straps and fire extinguisher bracket. I am definately going with the coil style hose too. I run air tools no problem. Just keep them oiled...
DSC03284.jpg

That regulator is [size=+2]HUGE[/size]. I know it's a common welding regulator... it's just about 3x the size of the one that came with my power tank. Whatever works... right?

Yeah I know its a big regulator. It was about $20 bucks on ebay and WAY cheaper than the $116 offroadair adj reg.

I have a question
what kind of run time can these tanks provide if you run a impact wrench to say remove a tire?
I dont have a tank yet but dont know what kinda milage you get ,for example can you fill more than one tire if need be?

When I bought mine, the ad said you could inflate 30 tires from 15 to 30 psi on one tank or run an air impact for 20 minutes. I run 10 psi or less off road, and I can air up all 4 tires to 30 psi about 5 times. They really last a long time unless you let all your buddies air up with them. They are good at seating a blown bead also.

The only downfall is that you never really know how close you are to running out. The tank pressure stays the same until your last little bit. You can sort of tell by the frost line or by weight, but I have run out after 2 tires before.

Harvo said:
When I bought mine, the ad said you could inflate 30 tires from 15 to 30 psi on one tank or run an air impact for 20 minutes. I run 10 psi or less off road, and I can air up all 4 tires to 30 psi about 5 times. They really last a long time unless you let all your buddies air up with them. They are good at seating a blown bead also.

The only downfall is that you never really know how close you are to running out. The tank pressure stays the same until your last little bit. You can sort of tell by the frost line or by weight, but I have run out after 2 tires before.

This info would be better if you stated what size tank and what size tires.

I have a 20# tank and can fill all four 35"s from 10 to 28 psi minimum of 5 times, plus the additional friends tires every once in a while.

I would suggest an inline filter, co2 is a relatively dirty gas and a filter is pretty cheap insurance for your tools anyways.

The effect of cold on lines is true, too. I have seen many many cases of co2 causing frosting of air lines of all sorts, so it can't be that good for a "normal" air line.

This info would be better if you stated what size tank and what size tires. I have a 20# tank and can fill all four 35"s from 10 to 28 psi minimum of 5 times, plus the additional friends tires every once in a while.

Right... same here. 20# tank and 35" tires.

Back