• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax-15 external slave line replacement

MJlogan

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to replace just the line on an external slave setup? Or maybe just reconnect the two broken ends with some sort of fitting? My exhaust burned through the line and i'm looking to avoid replacing the complete master/slave unit.

MJlogan said:
Is it possible to replace just the line on an external slave setup? Or maybe just reconnect the two broken ends with some sort of fitting? My exhaust burned through the line and i'm looking to avoid replacing the complete master/slave unit.
it's one piece and you could do a temporary fix. When Rabbit's line blew out, he fixed it by using 4 hose clamps and a piece of brake tubing. He inserted the tubing as far in as it would go and then gently closed with with 2 clamps on each side without crushing it (trick is that you need to make it tight to seal and hold but not too tight so that it doesn't deform and leak and blow off).

Kejtar said:
it's one piece and you could do a temporary fix. When Rabbit's line blew out, he fixed it by using 4 hose clamps and a piece of brake tubing. He inserted the tubing as far in as it would go and then gently closed with with 2 clamps on each side without crushing it (trick is that you need to make it tight to seal and hold but not too tight so that it doesn't deform and leak and blow off).

Thats what i'm looking for. I just picked up some tubing over lunch. How long did he run it like this? Did it leak much? It'll probably be more of a "permanent temporary" fix for me since I dont want to shell out $80 for a line from the dealer. Has to last me till I can get ahold of a 23 spline aw4 for this thing. Thanks for the idea.

MJlogan said:
Thats what i'm looking for. I just picked up some tubing over lunch. How long did he run it like this? Did it leak much? It'll probably be more of a "permanent temporary" fix for me since I dont want to shell out $80 for a line from the dealer. Has to last me till I can get ahold of a 23 spline aw4 for this thing. Thanks for the idea.
he ran for over 6 months IIRC. How long a piece? The break (missing piece) was about 1/2" ~ 1" and the tubing he used to merge was probaby 4" ~ 5" (if not shorter). AFAIK no leaks.

it melted a 6" section where the header flange is. I think i'll have enough engagement to make it work. Even if it leaks i can still get home w/o a clutch.

On my '88 I had a local hydraulic hose shop build a stainless line that runs from the stock master cylinder to the new AX-15 external slave cylinder. The only real glitch was the pin adapter; they didn't have any at the hose shop. I ordered one (actually two different ones so I was sure I had the right one) from AA. For around $40 the hose shop brazed up a nice line that I don't have to worry about the exhaust melting, but I still use a hose guide to maintain clearance on the exhaust. I used a piece of solid wire to figure the length and the timming of the fittings on the line. Good Luck.

Woody

well i got it to kind of work last night. tried just pressing it on and clamping it but the exhaust heated it up causing the plastic hose to expand and blow off. So i built a heat shield and reconnected it and it worked better, but bled down after a little bit cause it was leaking on one end. So i'm going to hit the parts store tonight and get some smaller hose clamps to see if that might make a better seal. The one on the leaking end is pretty big and i think its deforming the plastic line.

kejtar, did the steel line press right inside the plastic line? I am using 3/8 steel line and it wouldnt press in at all. I had to drill the plastic line out to 11/32 and it was all I could do to press the steel line in about 4".

Gotta love thrashin on crap the day your leaving for the desert!

MJlogan said:
So i'm going to hit the parts store tonight and get some smaller hose clamps to see if that might make a better seal. The one on the leaking end is pretty big and i think its deforming the plastic line.
Yeah it has to be the smallest clamp you can get so that it fits without deforming.

kejtar, did the steel line press right inside the plastic line? I am using 3/8 steel line and it wouldnt press in at all. I had to drill the plastic line out to 11/32 and it was all I could do to press the steel line in about 4".
It was a tight fit, but it slid in without any drilling out or cutting IIRC. It was brake line of the size that you see on the hard line going to the softline in the front brakes.

Back