• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

c8.25 question

stupidfast

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a free explorer 8.8(discs) and a free c8.25. but the 8.25 has the axle breather hose on the oposite side from the spring perches. the breather hose cant point down to the ground, so that means that this was from a spring under vehicle. i thought only cherokees ran 8.25, and their spring over... or is this not a 8.25? its got the very round bolt pattern on the diff cover and has a jeep 5x4.5 bolt pattern. it has stumped me and my really axle knowlageable buddy. whats it from?

Dodge Dakotas also used the 8.25 rear. i never paid attention enough to look under one but i think they are spring-under.

The couple Dakotas I have seen are spring under. If you're a welder, your local Mopar dealer sells brand new spring perches for a decent price...something like $15 or $20. Check Yucca Man's page for a good pic of the 8.25. The axle tube should be exactly 3" in diameter if it is the 8.25.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

-Rich

OK, I guess it depends on the Dakota year. My Dad's '03 is a spring-over. I just IM'd him. YMMV, apparently.

Last edited:
alright that explains it. im going to sell it. i have no other use for it other than money. thats why i grabbed it for free. to make profit :)

yeah i got it from the same place. i looked into it and the junkyard is shut down. the guy said "take anything you see. your only helping us clean it up". the 44 was actualy a 16 spine 60 and i traded it with a friend for a 9in and another 9in housing. so i now have a almost complete 9in (need bearings), a 9in housing, a c8.25, and an explorer 8.8 w/disks

Well, I've never had a buddy that didn't lie to me. Then again, I might be overstating the obvious, according to RevDen... hasta

-Rich

Back