• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 What years are interchangeable?

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
Are the AX 15's in a 91 XJ and a 97 TJ interchangeable provideing they both have the I6 and np231.

I have one that a buddy wants to put into his TJ.

Yes...but I believe the clocking for the t-case is different between the two. I know on YJs at least the t-case is clocked flatter off the back of the trans than on XJs, and it's not the t-case that's different.

Assuming the TJ is manual already, you'll also want to keep the existing bellhousing and mount the old trans to the TJ bellhousing, because the slave cylinder setup will be different.

You may also run into a pilot bushing difference; I believe the later AX15s use a larger diameter pilot shaft.

The reason there is a pilot bushing size difference is the early ax's had a smaller spline count at the input shaft than the later units.So you need to count the input splines on both to make sure they will mate.I can't remember the changeover year but it has been covered on here before.

Last edited:
Thanks y'all. I'm pulling it on Friday and I'll compare the spine counts. I know it changed from 21-23 and I did know that the YJ's used and external slave but I didn't know if they would still work or not.

I'll pass along the info.
Again thanks.

you're thinking of the out put spline count and yes that's correct they changed from 21 to 23 spline.The transmission input shaft spline count changed also....

jeepdeepfreak said:
The transmission input shaft spline count changed also....

You sure about that? I believe it's always been a 10-spline input...further reinforced by the fact that I fit the same clutch disc on a '87 peugeot, '90 AX-15, and '94 AX-15. AFAIK only the pilot shaft diameter changed, not the clutch splines.

The AX-15 should have a 23-spline output like the '97 TJ one, I believe that after the Peugeot was dropped all the manuals had the 23-spline output, and after the HO was introduced all the autos did also.

Back