• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poor Brakes on 2001 XJ

Berrill

NAXJA Forum User
Are there any known problems regarding the braking system of the XJ. I have a 2001 model 4 litre and the brakes are shocking.

Even though they are ABS, on tar I cannot get enough braking force to get close to the point where the wheels will start locking up and the ABS kicks in. (On slippery roads the ABS is working perfectly, i.e. on dirt roads)

I have a hard pedal, i.e. no air in the line.

The booster is working as the pedal drops a bit when the engine is started.

I have just had the front rotors machined, as there was slight pulsating when I braked, now the pulsating has gone but the brakes are still bad.

How do I get more braking force at the wheels.

Some one told me that the cars computer can control the amount of braking and may need to be reset, is there such a thing?

Does the brake-proportioning valve have any restrictions for the front circuit, maybe this is failing.

The jeep has 65 miles and is stock standard, please help your advice is appreciated.

Thanking you
Antony

Back