• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small bright light

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Nope, I don't want to go towards it, but I'm working on finishing up my rear bumper and I want to embed the backup lights into it. I don't want to use LED's in there as they do not work too well for backup light applications (from my experience.
Anyways, what I'm looking for is a light that's about 2" to no more then 3" that's a flood light (or has a wide spread light pattern) and is fairly bright (and lets not forget rather cheap and 12V :D ). Any suggestions?

I have no experience with these but I have recently found several small fog light applications in a rectanglular shape (2-3" tall and 4-6" long) in both white or yellow that might work well for you. I have seen examples as Auto Zone, GI Joes, etc.

You could always put bigger bulbs in them if you want more light out of them, floods typically do not come above 55 watts but put out a decent amount of light if they are that close to the ground.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I have no experience with these but I have recently found several small fog light applications in a rectanglular shape (2-3" tall and 4-6" long) in both white or yellow that might work well for you. I have seen examples as Auto Zone, GI Joes, etc.

You could always put bigger bulbs in them if you want more light out of them, floods typically do not come above 55 watts but put out a decent amount of light if they are that close to the ground.

Michael
I think I know which ones you mean. Problem is that they are not flush mount.

Kejtar said:
I think I know which ones you mean. Problem is that they are not flush mount.

That will Radically reduce your options.

Why not mount them just behind the bumper?

Michael

2xtreme said:
That will Radically reduce your options.

Why not mount them just behind the bumper?

Michael
cause I have scrape marks all over the bottom area there and I don't want to loose 'em: rocks love lights, lights hate rocks.

I assumed that if you want flush mount they are protected from the back?
If you put a non-flush mount behind the bumper it would have the same protection?

I guess I am having difficulty understanding this particular application.

Maybe this will help. My rear bumper is an air tank (no holes because it holds 7 gal of air). So my bright back up lights will be mounted on top of the rear bumper under the stock tail lights. (still work in progress).

The only flush back up lights I am aware of (LED and standard) are ok, but not bright by any means. The LED's are brighter that I have seen, But none of them are a very affective flood or fog pattern.

Michael

Autozone has some small floods, ~1.5"x3" that will mount several different ways. I use some for rock lights up front. I think they sell under the brand name "Pilot".

I found a picture of them here. I think they were a little bit cheaper at AZ though.

what about mounting it behind the hole cut through the bumper, further back than a flush mount? then you would not risk scratching/breaking the lense as the metal would stick out futher than the glass

stewie said:
what about mounting it behind the hole cut through the bumper, further back than a flush mount? then you would not risk scratching/breaking the lense as the metal would stick out futher than the glass
Well that's kind of what I'll end up doing, but I need to mount it such a way that I can replace it/bulb from the outside as there will be no access to the insides of the bumper.

I have some small Walmart fogs (approx 1.5"tall x 2.5"wide x 1.5"deep) mounted as rock lights in my front fenders. They were only $15 a pair and would make good backup lights.

PM me if you wanna see a pic tonight when I get home from work.

Hey Remi,

Get in touch with Scott (Clean-RC) His back-up lights are bright as %#LL. THey are about 2.5" round.

How many of you guys have never looked at the backed of a big rig. There are a lot of rigs out there that have flush mount lights for everything. And they have to be bright, for daytime visiblity.

Go to your local bigrig shop and browse around, I guarantee you will find a few things that would be cool to put on your rig. Including some flush mount backup lights to put in your bumper.

What about some under counter lights from like home depot? Some of them run on 12v and use a converter. They are about 2 1/2" acrossed and are flush mounted. they use about a 20W bulb. I hade a set of these flush monted in the stock rear bumper (many many moons ago) and they worked out great. I did have a few problems sealing them though. but i had one that was completely underwater for about 15 min, yes i was stuck, and it was on the whole time. actually worked for about 2 months after that even with water in the light. I would give these a shot. IIRC they run about $30 for a set of 5 of them.

This will give you an idea of them
http://www.pegasusassociates.com/XenonPuckLights.jsp

Dingo

Last edited:
Back