• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy 8.25- how do I quiet it?

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
I ask because I may be able to swap it for a d44 out of my friends 87 cherokee.
Mine has made noise for a couple years, it's stock 3.55 gears, factory tracloc that doesn't work, 230K mi. The noise is a light whine, when the gas pedal is feathered (when there's no significant engine power feeding it)

thanx

needs new bearings probably, maybe pinion bearing.

I had a noisy cryco axle in my 94. Seems like a common thing in those axles. It never developed into anything serious so I just learned to live with it.

devildog0 said:
I had a noisy cryco axle in my 94. Seems like a common thing in those axles. It never developed into anything serious so I just learned to live with it.
it is a chrysler thing just like a jeep thing a chr. axles are noisy the 9.25 in my mothers durango is the same way. JUst run it till it don't run no more.

I will put my 8.25 under my friends stock jeep, and put her d44 in mine- BUT first I have to quiet the noise, so she's happy. So how do I determine if it's the pinion bearing, and is it a spendy/difficult job?

BTW, if she OKs the swap, I'll either compensate her with some cash, or do some work to her jeep. She'll never need the d44.

The main reason I want the 44 is so I can go with 4.88 gears :us:

My 8.25 is a picky SOB....some days its as quiet as could be, some days it howls more than a pack of wolves. If it really bothers you that much, id start replacing bearings or swap the thing out. Its a noisy axle to begin with.

How good of friend is she?

Sawdust would work...but I would not do it to anyone you like. :)

BTW this is a joke...don't use sawdust.

Back