• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another stick shift problem...

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
Today's patient is a 93 4.0l, AX15, 170,000 miles. I changed the gear oil about 10,000 miles ago (GL5 - I know, I know...) and everything's been OK since. However, yesterday, I came off the motorway after 20 minutes and had a bit of trouble finding any forward gear. I say forward because I didn't try reverse.

On the way back home, I noticed that on coming off the exit the clutch pedal had very little resistence for the first half of engagement, and again it was difficult to select a gear once stopped at the intersection. This lack of feel was only momentary, but I noticed that the selection was far from smooth - the gears seemed to "clonk" into place when they'd not been changed for a few minutes.

I know I'll need to check the fluid level as the first thing, but how can I find out if it's the slave cylinder going south, and if so, do I have an external or internal one, and is it a DIY or shop job? Also, would it be worth overhauling the gearbox syncros etc if it's out? As they say, timing is everything - Xmas coming up, a baby on the way and a house purchase to complete. Bugger...

Fluid level looks OK, so what am I left with? Is it more likely to be a problem with the syncros, or is there something like a vacuum line that might have come loose?

Check the fluid level in the master. I'd say either the slave is leaking, or the master is leaking out of the rear. Look inside the cab, under the dash above the fusebox, and you'll see the pushrod that attaches to the clutch pedal...if it's leaking you'll see it :laugh3: It will eventually leak all over your fusebox and cause very bad things to happen to your electrical system...
(my MJ is suffering from the same thing....I had to drive the last 200 miles of a 600 mile trip yesterday with no clutch :mad: )

Jeff

Doesn't look like there's a leak - although I've never opened it before! The level is at 2 little pips from the top, so I'll be able to keep an eye on it. Thanks.

I second the opinion on the master/slave cylinder problem. Much better than a tranny problem. :laugh3:

it's happening after a run on the freeway

Heat buildup in the fluid line between the master and slave. Check the flex line and make sure it's not too close to the #6 header tube, or that the header isn't cracked and allowing exhaust heat in that area.

Hmm. Thanks for that - it sounds like it might be worth investigating.

If I end up having to change out the slave, do I have to change the master as well? I know I'll have an internal slave, so is the best thing to go with one with bellows or modify to an external? Part numbers would be most helpful if anyone has them... Thanks for the advice!

Back