• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

growth spurt

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
i picked up a 60 rear and a hp44 front from a 79 3/4 ford today, along with a hp44 front out of a 76 f150 with radius arms. the plan is to run the 60 rear, then use the f150 housing, with the f250 outers so i have the bigger front brakes, flattop knuckles for highsteer, and 8 lug to match the 60. im going to put 5.38s in both axles and run a modified ford radius arm front suspension, and stick with leaves in the rear. im going to run 37" bias ply claws that im getting a good deal on also. ill get some pics up soon.

kolby

well, kinda both, one of the things i dont know what to do about is wheels. the 37s im getting are for 15s. im going to be using the big dual piston 3/4 ton brakes on the front. i know if it comes down to it i can buy some 15x10s with 2" bs to clear them, but i dont want to be near that wide, and i would rather run an 8" rim. so i realy dont know what my options are. also, i know when swaping in a 9" from a f150 the spring perches dont have to be moved, is the 60 from the f240 going to be the same way?

kolby

a friend of mine has a 79 ford 60 front and he has 15x10s with 2" bs so surely they would fit over mine. can you get 15x8s with 2" bs?

Sell the 37's for 15" wheels and buy ones designed for a 17" wheel. Then buy 17" 8 lug wheels.

Problem solved, glad I could help.

lankchevy said:
i know when swaping in a 9" from a f150 the spring perches dont have to be moved, is the 60 from the f240 going to be the same way?

I had to move mine of my 76 f-150...

something like 3/4" per side... i suppose you could side load your leaves if you really wanted to...

well small change in plans. i sold the 8 lug 44 and 60, and im going to run my 8.8 rear i already have in the jeep with wheel spacer/adapters to match the 5 lug 44 front. ive got 5.13s on the way for the 44 and 8.8 also. i decieded the 60 rear swap wasnt worth the trouble since it is only a 30 spline 60 and it solves the situation with the wheels. im pretty sure i wont have any problems with the 8.8 and 37s. if i do i know where i can get spare shafts for cheap.

kolby

lankchevy said:
well small change in plans. i sold the 8 lug 44 and 60, and im going to run my 8.8 rear i already have in the jeep with wheel spacer/adapters to match the 5 lug 44 front. ive got 5.13s on the way for the 44 and 8.8 also. i decieded the 60 rear swap wasnt worth the trouble since it is only a 30 spline 60 and it solves the situation with the wheels. im pretty sure i wont have any problems with the 8.8 and 37s. if i do i know where i can get spare shafts for cheap.

kolby
Just don't romp it. Otherwise, good luck.

tealcherokee said:
ahahahaha, you just sold a 60 for an 8.8

ahahahahahaahah

considering the facts that the 8.8 and 60 both have 1.3" shafts and the 8.8 has 31 spline, where there 60 is only 30 im not sure why its so funny. yes, the 60 is full floating and the 8.8 has c-clips, but the 8.8 is lighter, has MUCH beter clearance, and will suit my use fine. plus the 8.8 is already under my jeep, gears are cheaper, i can get spare shafts cheaper than i can get them for the 60, and to top it all off the 8.8 has discs. plus this route made the tires im getting a good deal on usable.

kolby

lankchevy said:
considering the facts that the 8.8 and 60 both have 1.3" shafts and the 8.8 has 31 spline, where there 60 is only 30 im not sure why its so funny. yes, the 60 is full floating and the 8.8 has c-clips, but the 8.8 is lighter, has MUCH beter clearance, and will suit my use fine. plus the 8.8 is already under my jeep, gears are cheaper, i can get spare shafts cheaper than i can get them for the 60, and to top it all off the 8.8 has discs. plus this route made the tires im getting a good deal on usable.

kolby

Sounds like a smart decision to me. Everyone on the net is so wrapped up in building the ultimate rig with the most bestest parts (one-upsmanship at its finest.) I say, build your rig for how and where you wheel.

Lawn Cher' said:
I say, build your rig for how and where you wheel.

BOOOOO

well my gears came in today, i picked up my 37s and wheels, and last night i got a place in my shop cleaned up, off to the side, so my jeeps not in the way while its down. i think about all i have left to buy is wheel spacer/adapters, a locker right for the front, some steering stuff, and some misc. scrap metal. well i guess its time to go tear it apart.

kolby

Back