• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd working?

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
I was offroading today and i got a little stuck... i had it in 4lo... but my friend said that my front wheels were not spinning. Earlier i had it in 4hi and i was getting alot better traction than i get in 2hi. So i know that 4hi works... but i dont know whats goin on with my 4lo. Is it possible that my 4hi works and the 4lo doesnt? Thanks. -Austin

Is it possible he was on the front side that the wheel wasnt spinning and the one he couldnt see was spinning?

I wish people would remember to state year etc. info. Anyway, I see from your profile that it's a '90, so the answer is yes, it could be working in hi but not lo, or working intermittently, because the transfer case has a vacuum switch that controls the vacuum actuated front axle disconnect. If that switch is bad it might fail to connect the axle, or if other parts of the system are bad, it might fail to connect. However, usually when this happens the 4WD light will also go off, because it too is triggered by vacuum from the axle shift motor and won't light until it's successfully engaged. The transfer case itself will also not engage in low range unless the linkage is adjusted properly, but may still work in high. Of course there's also the possibility that the transfer case is toasted, but I'd put that at the end of the list.

First thing I'd do is get out on some loose gravel or sand and see if it really is not working in low but is working in high. Then start with a check of all the vacuum lines, and of the linkage adjustment.

edit....went out to plow snow, forgot to proofreeeed

Matthew Currie said:
I wish people would remember to state year etc. info.

its funny you say that because I went to edit some of my stuff yesterday and noticed that this forum doesnt offer a signature... ?

a signature is perfect for stating these things and that way you wouldnt have to keep typing your specs everytime youve got a question.

mods? wheres the sigs?

Sig's are a perk of membership.

spencer411 said:
I see

guess then there are gonna be more "help" threads with no info

Not to sound too parental here, but considering that one is asking people to take the trouble to diagnose a problem and post an informative answer, how much trouble would it be to say something like "it's a '90 with command trac," which is about all the pertinent info needed for this problem. Or if it's engine related, "90,4.0 automatic" would do it. I know I'm a fast typist, but that didn't take very long to do.

Back