• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I feel stupid today....Help with Trailer Wiring

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Do my trailer is a 4 pin flat, so I bought the 4 pin flat wire set. Now how the fawk do you get Brakes and Parking with this?

Instuctions say, right, left, lights (park/ brake), ground....

So do I need to choose if I want brake or parking? I would like both of em...

Thanks,

Todd

Your a bit sketchy with your question and you don't state what year XJ you have.

I going to presume you want to hook it up to your XJ. Based on a 2K XJ you remove the rear inner wheel cover. At that point is where the light connections meet. If you didn't spring for the connecter that already has the XJ tap, then you will need to follow the wires to the appropriate lamp and tap into the correct wire.

OK, lets call it a 88, anyway, that doesn't matter, I just have a standard 4 pin connection, I got the male and female ends. So I'm just splicing into my left tail light...

So I have 4 wires, 1 needs to be ground, of course both blinkers, that leaves 1 wire....either park or brake I assume, but how do I get both? It seems like it should be a 5 wire. Maybe I could add 1 more and just use disconnects for the brake signal?

Anyone know what I need legally? Park or Brake?

Get it?

if you have seperate turn and brake lights, you will need a convertor.
this will intergrate your turn signals and brakes into the same wires.
you can buy them at autoparts stores and places like walmart. they arent too cheap though, expect to pay between 20 to 40 depending on your application. without this convertor you will only be able to use one or the other, (brakes or turn signals).
On a side note, they make the t plug for most vehicles that you can just unplug your factory harness and plug this in line so you don't have to splice your wires.

just buy the hoppy wiring connector. You unplug the taillight plug the hoppy in line hook up on ground and your done. You need the kit because of the park running light issue. You need both to be legal. For what the kit costs it not worth the time and mess. My 2 cents

black93xj said:
just buy the hoppy wiring connector. You unplug the taillight plug the hoppy in line hook up on ground and your done. You need the kit because of the park running light issue. You need both to be legal. For what the kit costs it not worth the time and mess. My 2 cents
Close.

I don't think Hoppy has a converter listed for the 88 XJ. They also offer a universal, and I think that's the one that has to be used with the early (pre-Chrysler) XJs. I think the universal requirs splicing, but otherwise it works the same as the plug-in models.

This is the ONLY way to get both brakes and turn signals on a trailer with a 4-wire connector. It cannot be done without a converter.

rstarch345 said:
Maybe this will help

white = ground
yellow = left turn/brake light
green = right turn/brake
lightbrown = tail

BANG (slaps himself in head) that's the one, thanks man.

Yeah, that universal converter Eagle mentioned is what you need. Splicing the wires is fun and the converter block fits nicely behind the tail light housing, just bundle up the wires use the tail light to hold it in place.

NHxj4x4 said:
I would do that, but this is for my Range Rover (shhhhh don't tell anyone)

It's my winter Rig
GEEZ, how many rides do ya have?

NHxj4x4 said:
I would do that, but this is for my Range Rover (shhhhh don't tell anyone)

It's my winter Rig

Wow........that makes a difference..... at least you have a jeep to pull it out with. (j/k) splice the wires but make sure you make the connections water proof. I have seen nasty green, non working wires all to much.... my 2 Cents

I have a bunch Rob

93 XJ (you know that one)
88 Range Rover
93 Mazda MX6 (think you've seen that one too)
92 Subaru Legacy
85 S-10

So anyway, back to the wiring, I spliced the brake into the right blinker, just to test this, and now when I hit the brakes the right blinker comes on steady. Also when I hit the right blinker all the lights blink, kinda weird. So I think I'm just going to run 1 additional wire down to the trailer to correct this. The Rover has a 6 pin round plug, which they don't really make any conversions for, I may special order one.

Todd

Jay Welch said:
U-Haul sells the converters.

Jay in MA
In my experience, they rape you on cost

NHxj4x4 said:
I have a bunch Rob

93 XJ (you know that one)
88 Range Rover
93 Mazda MX6 (think you've seen that one too)
92 Subaru Legacy
85 S-10

So anyway, back to the wiring, I spliced the brake into the right blinker, just to test this, and now when I hit the brakes the right blinker comes on steady. Also when I hit the right blinker all the lights blink, kinda weird. So I think I'm just going to run 1 additional wire down to the trailer to correct this. The Rover has a 6 pin round plug, which they don't really make any conversions for, I may special order one.

Todd
There is no way to wire a 4 wire system without the adaptor box, the adaptor box has electronics in it to make the conversion.
If you don't want to buy the adaptor then add seprate lights to your trailer for turn signals.

Mambeu said:
Sure they do. My '89 F-250 has a 6-pin round connector, and I bought a round 6-pin to flat 4-pin adapter at Wal-Mart for maybe twenty bucks.

Just bought the same thing at lunch, but it doesn't seperate the brakes either. Oh well. Maybe I'll re-wire the trailer after I un-bury from this snow dump were getting right now.

Back